Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,894   Posts: 1,520,879   Online: 1126

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by brian steinberger View Post
    Sage, you should never have to tone a negative unless its a last attempt at salvage, and if so it's usual in selenium toner as an intensification process for a thin negative. Other than that, don't worry about toning negs.
    By all means tone your black&white negatives if you want them to last forever.

the villages .centralflorida,USA and Germany
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Mahler_one View Post
    Not to throw any nails into the concept of toning, but I believe I might have read on APUG that there is some information that states that Selenium toning does not add any meaningful longevity to a print ( work at RIP? ). The most important factor(s) might well be that all traces of fixer are removed, and the any mounting materials are completely archival and free of contaminants of any sort. There are obviously photographers who use a dilute solution of Selenium in order to influence the color of the finished print. Such "toning for color" is not at issue. As is the case with many "facts" about photography, it would be interesting to know of any scientific research that definitely proves that toning prevents degradation-or, has no affect at all on longevity. Selenium toning has become thought of as a "necessary step for longevity", and has been promulgated as "necessary" by experienced photographers who have had such information passed to them by other photographers and books. We have taken such information, perhaps, as being true because of our respect for our teachers and colleagues. However, are they correct? Simply asking for information of a scientific and unbiased nature....not starting any arguments here. Indeed, if it can be shown that Selenium toning is NOT needed for longevity, then another chemical step that can affect the environment, and uses additional water, MIGHT be avoided. Thanks.

Ed
    Scientific proof is hard to come by and silver-based photographic research has probably stopped altogether, but one thing is for certain. Some toning is better than none. I'm running a real life archival; test at the moment, and it already shows that a 1+19 selenium toned-print is doing better than its untoned counterpart. When this test is done, I will have more data to compare the effect of Sistan, selenium and sulfide toning.
    Regards

Ralph W. Lambrecht
    www.darkroomagic.comrorrlambrec@ymail.com[/URL]
    www.waybeyondmonochrome.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by brian steinberger View Post
    Sage, you should never have to tone a negative unless its a last attempt at salvage, and if so it's usual in selenium toner as an intensification process for a thin negative. Other than that, don't worry about toning negs.
    I beg to differ. Toning has similar longevity effects to prints and negatives alike.
    Regards

Ralph W. Lambrecht

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by panastasia View Post
    I think you mean to say fixer, not developer, regarding constant agitation.
    AA said: 'The worst thing you can do to a print is not agitate it enough in the developer.' He was right, as almost always.
    Regards

Ralph W. Lambrecht

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Tony Egan View Post
    I don't use RC very much but I do selenium tone and there is a noticeable change in tone and colour with the Ilford paper I use. In fact it is more pronounced than the effect I get with FB Agfa MCC (I still have a stockpile I'm working through). So tone away!
    Hello Tony, could you please elaborate on that? I mean which toner, dilution, time, paper etc...

Thanks in advance!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I'll take that to heart. I've always agitated continuously in fixer, bleach, stop bath, and toners, but not in the developer. But when the print stops moving in the developer, which is usually about every 15s or so, I agitate again, so the print is technically moving the whole time.
    But lately I've started agitating continuously. Frankly, I'm not sure I can tell a difference from my previous technique in the final results. But I may also not be skilled enough to see the difference.

Thanks, Ralph, for providing such good and accurate advice.

Quote Originally Posted by RalphLambrecht View Post
    AA said: 'The worst thing you can do to a print is not agitate it enough in the developer.' He was right, as almost always.
    "Often moments come looking for us". - Robert Frank

"Make good art!" - Neil Gaiman

"...the heart and mind are the true lens of the camera". - Yousuf Karsh

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Bertilsson View Post
    I'll take that to heart. I've always agitated continuously in fixer, bleach, stop bath, and toners, but not in the developer. But when the print stops moving in the developer, which is usually about every 15s or so, I agitate again, so the print is technically moving the whole time.
    But lately I've started agitating continuously. Frankly, I'm not sure I can tell a difference from my previous technique in the final results. But I may also not be skilled enough to see the difference.

Thanks, Ralph, for providing such good and accurate advice.
    Well, maybe having to continuously rock the trays was AA's way to justify a darkroom assistant! Must be nice.
    Regards

Ralph W. Lambrecht

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I tone. I use mainly selenium sulphide toner to get better longevity for my prints.
    On some RC papers it does not give any noticeable difference, but some papers like Kentmere VC Select get noticeable brownish-magenta tone.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Usagi View Post
    I tone. I use mainly selenium sulphide toner to get better longevity for my prints.
    On some RC papers it does not give any noticeable difference, but some papers like Kentmere VC Select get noticeable brownish-magenta tone.
    Jukka

Are you toning selenium/sulfide as a mixture or is this a sequential toning effort?
    Regards

Ralph W. Lambrecht

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by RalphLambrecht View Post
    Jukka

Are you toning selenium/sulfide as a mixture or is this a sequential toning effort?
    It's mixture.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin