Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,735   Posts: 1,515,476   Online: 1091

Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I am going to try a small test, then ultimately a 40x40 Ilfochrome of the first one in the set which is dr5 to see if black and white will play nice with color material:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/2358573...11572752/show/

If it works well, I will do a limited edition set of the dr5 / Ilfochromes in a show to launch the book. The non-dr5 to be printed by me of course.

I suppose I could try my hand at the Ilfochrome process too since I have a Jobo....
    Last edited by PKM-25; 06-16-2009 at 05:08 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Justin Silber View Post
    I remember reading a French website (through Google Translator) where a guy modified his Sinar to use a 16x20 back. He shot colour ULF exactly the way you describe, using Ilfochrome to create one-off in-camera originals.
    British eccentric 'mad scientist' and broadcaster Tim Hunkin has made cameras which shoot direct to large sheets of Ilfochrome.

He incorporates a mirror so his images are not reversed.

http://www.timhunkin.com/61_cameras.htm (the whole site is worth looking at).

Steve.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I've got a bunch of Kodachrome back, from a trip to China, and at the risk of sounding like an egotistical knob (I'm not, really) I'm pretty excited about the images.

Any chance I'd have to make prints directly, as opposed to scanning and output digitally, would be something I'm interested in.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Ektagraphic View Post
    Hello
    I have just been getting into Ilfochrome prints...The first prints I have had made should be back from the lab on Tuesday. I used Visual- Imaging as they were the best price I found. I just have some unanswed questions....How many people are still using Ilfochrome? How much time does it have left? I am not worried...just curious. I have heard amazing things about it and I will soon see for myself. Why have you not had Ilfochromes made of your slides? Cost? I think it is important to try to keep Ilfochrome around to be able to still print slides by hand...Maybe we need to have an Ilfochrome Project division of the Kodachrome Project....What are your thoughts about Ilfochrome?

Patrick

Ilfochrome is alive and well down here in Australia with many large, medium and 35mm format professionals still ordering huge runs of 'chromes from beautiful Velvia (predominantly) or Provia trannies. Then they frame the chromes. Marvellous under gallery spots! As a working photographer, I have scant interest in cameras and lenses as objects of desire. My real joy is capturing an image on film and producing an exhibition print on Ilfochrome.

I agree an Ilfochrome Project would be a good idea, maybe as a salute to Ilford but, despite its equally legendary high cost, Ilfochrome is not going to disappear any time soon (it first made an appearance in 1963!) given its the first and only choice for ultra-long life exhibition quality prints.

Note that digital images (from c. 300Mb files) are also now commonly produced to Ilfochrome.
    .::Gary Rowan Higgins

A comfort zone is a wonderful place. But nothing ever grows there.
    —Anon.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Sounds like there's more going on with Ilfochrome in Australia than the UK, maybe you've got a go-ahead distributor there. I reckon something other than us lot is keeping Ilfochrome alive, there must be industrial & governmental applications that need that colour permanence - (dare I say military?)

Maybe as you say it's time to refresh it's image, NPI. Maybe a starting point would be to give it some airing to pinhole camera users, plenty of them around now.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Martin Reed View Post
    I reckon something other than us lot is keeping Ilfochrome alive, there must be industrial & governmental applications that need that colour permanence - (dare I say military?)
    I think you're partially right, but I'm sure I read somewhere that it's due to it's archival "colour" properties and used by museums etc for documenting valuable paintints & artwork.

Ian

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Surprising to learn that musuems would go to the expense of Ilfochrome.
    There are some very big spenders here in Australia printing pano-landscape and large format printing through the Ilfochrome model, and as my printer said, smaller job users (like myself) must wait until the bigger jobs have gone through (something about 1200x1800mm panoprints on Ilfochrome costing a fortune, and "they are what pay the bills", he says). My wait was 3 months until a bottleneck was cleared due a raw materials supply glitch with Ilford (UK I think). I only print to 30x40cm as print+frame-up for each one costs AUD$305; any more than this is economic suicide, as the market has a bigger take-up of beautifully finished (and framed) Ilfochrome panoprints, usually marketed at truly astronomical cost (as much as a small second hand car, really).
    Last edited by Poisson Du Jour; 09-23-2009 at 02:26 AM. Click to view previous post history.

—Anon.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Poisson Du Jour View Post
    Surprising to learn that musuems would go to the expense of Ilfochrome.
    When the paintings are worth millions of £'s/$'s costs begins to pale rather in significance. Many museums are also privately owned and outside Europe cash rich, moneys not an issue.

Ian

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    In Adelaide we have a lab that produces wonderful Ilfachromes/Cibachromes. They aren't cheap, but they sing so much more than regular positive prints.

They do the lot regardless of whether you are a small printer or large. Each one has a mask made and printed to perfection. 1st one costs you - subsequent copies are cheaper as they already have the mask and details from the original.

Next time I head home, I might just have to get some nice chromes printed up!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by ozphoto View Post
    In Adelaide we have a lab that produces wonderful Ilfachromes/Cibachromes. They aren't cheap, but they sing so much more than regular positive prints.

They do the lot regardless of whether you are a small printer or large. Each one has a mask made and printed to perfection. 1st one costs you - subsequent copies are cheaper as they already have the mask and details from the original.

Next time I head home, I might just have to get some nice chromes printed up!

You will indeed get some "nice chromes printed up": the stuff memories of good times abroad or special places are made of. And that's at Chromacolour in Kent Town.

Yes, masks are the costly bit for first-runs, the big saver for follow-ons; they still use the masks created in 1997.

—Anon.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin