Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,940   Posts: 1,557,524   Online: 1037

Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    You got it in one!
    And yes - they are great for those very special memories!!!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I have a darkroom now and I would really like to get into Ilfochrome but the start up is so expensive.
    Helping to save analog photography one exposure at a time

The Netherlands, close to the Belgian border
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Ektagraphic View Post
    I have a darkroom now and I would really like to get into Ilfochrome but the start up is so expensive.
    Why? Sure, using it is more expensive than B&W, but why would the start up be expensive?

(Said he, who spent the first set of Ilfochrome chemicals and 20 8x10" papers to try and get the very first print right...)

Start up cost? The first set of paper, the first set of chemicals and a development tank...

(But then again, maybe I haven't yet been able to get the first print right because I'm not doing anything about *exact* temperature control. That would make starting up more expensive indeed...)

shuttr.net
    -- A sinister little midget with a bucket and a mop / Where the blood goes down the drain --

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Because you can only order a minimum order of sheets. If I could only but 8 or 10 at a time I would prefer that.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Ektagraphic View Post
    Because you can only order a minimum order of sheets. If I could only but 8 or 10 at a time I would prefer that.
    It may take you 8 sheets just to color balance the paper to the enlarger. But once everything is synced I want as much paper of that batch as economically possible.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    At $5, and 8 sheets to get things balenced, I think I will just keep sending out for now. I send out for $28 per sheet.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    We choose to use Ilfochrome... "in this decade and do the other things, not because they are easy, but because they are hard, because that goal will serve to organize and measure the best of our energies and skills, because that challenge is one that we are willing to accept, one we are unwilling to postpone, and one which we intend to win, and the others, too." Paraphrase of JFK's We choose to go to the moon speech.

Ilfochrome is definitely not for the faint of heart, but the rewards once mastered are immeasurable. But also note that Ilfochrome cost pale in comparison to tri-color carbon printing, an endeavor I wish to try thanks to Sandy King (via the Inside Analog Photo).
    Last edited by Iwagoshi; 09-23-2009 at 05:05 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    If you get to know pro labs making custom Ilfochrome prints for clients, any printer will tell you it's not really economically viable as a DIY darkroom job. As other posts in this thread mention, there will be a lot of material waste, frustration, angst and money spent just getting colour balance and contrast right. Oh, and masking: consider a few years of honed skill and judgement are prerequisite to masking. Used chemicals disposal is subject to very strict environmental regimes; even pro labs have problems with the cocktail of chemicals (typically 3% sulphuric acid in waste). Consider what happens if this stuff is belched from a lose hose!

You are really much better off saving yourself grief by seeking out a pro lab with reputation — and working with them to fine tune the chrome you desire 'just so' — in fact, you'll be expected (invited into the lab) to guide the printer to the final print in terms of localised density, clipping, dodging, burning, masking, cropping, etc. In the end you will have a print that both you and the printer are proud of and happy with.
    Last edited by Poisson Du Jour; 09-23-2009 at 06:39 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Images
    Not for those with any degree of color blindness either.

I really envy you folks who can print color.
    Technological society has succeeded in multiplying the opportunities for pleasure, but it has great difficulty in generating joy. Pope Paul VI

So, I think the "greats" were true to their visions, once their visions no longer sucked. Ralph Barker 12/2004

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I'm afraid that Ilford is killing Ilfochrome with too high pricing . That's a shame because I like Ilfochrome printing and would like to do it more, but now it seems to be more expensive than ever before. Now I just project my slides and if I need a print I make Reversal RA-4 that's over ten times cheaper than Ilfochrome.

It would help much if there was a working recipe for Ilfochrome bleach. The official chemistry is very expensive.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin