Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,228   Posts: 1,532,707   Online: 712

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Processing E6

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Just a quick observation, you made a comment on the difficulty and expense of printing color. I assume you mean the RA-4 process, which is quick and easy, can be done in trays at room temperature, or a tabletop processor, and is as easy to do as b/w prints if you have an enlarger with a color head. You will need to have color negatives to make RA-4 color prints. RA-4 prints are what most of the mini-labs produce. The chemistry should be widely available, however you may find it difficult to source in small quantity.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by PHOTOTONE View Post
    Just a quick observation, you made a comment on the difficulty and expense of printing color. I assume you mean the RA-4 process, which is quick and easy, can be done in trays at room temperature, or a tabletop processor, and is as easy to do as b/w prints if you have an enlarger with a color head. You will need to have color negatives to make RA-4 color prints. RA-4 prints are what most of the mini-labs produce. The chemistry should be widely available, however you may find it difficult to source in small quantity.
    That's got to be the first good news I've had with working with color film in a long time. Thanks, maybe I should consider working with printing by myself while I let the professional lab do the processing.

Shooter
    35mm
    If you're comfortable printing RA-4, processing C-41 will be easy. Of course, there's no reason you can't let a lab process film to negatives and then print them yourself, but printing RA-4 is the more difficult task. That's not to say that printing RA-4 is excruciatingly difficult; it's just that C-41 processing, compared to B&W negative processing, isn't much harder. RA-4 compared to B&W printing isn't any harder in terms of the chemical processes, but learning to get the color balance right can be a bit challenging, particularly if you start from negatives that are inconsistent (processed by different labs, shot under different lighting conditions, etc.). The easiest start to RA-4 would be to lock down as many variables as possible -- shoot the same film, process that film in the same way, use the same paper, use the same RA-4 chemicals, etc. That'll minimize the changes you need to get good color balance.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    I just found this tech bulletin on Kodak's website, which might be of interest to those doing C-41 and E-6 by hand (like I will be attempting soon)... Nothing ground breaking, but it's reassuring to see how instructions for how to do it by hand in print.

CIS-211

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Top-Cat View Post
    2. The second question is: how do you regulate color temperature? Color film seems to need a rather exact body temperature of 37.8 for the development bath, what's the most effective way of doing this?
    I am recently new to c41 but I can tell you something I discovered that may benefit you in E6. There are *really* cheap food warming 'bains marie' on the bay. I got two APW Wyott Countertop Food Warmers, they are something like 12x20". Got them from this store and am very happy with them. You can put metal containers in there and get very stable temps. The ones I got don't have thermostats, just numbers, but a bit of experimentation and I am able to get down to a degree of stability per 15-20 minutes or so, mostly thanks to the large volume. Overall I think the bains that I bought were a bargain at $120 each... very inexpensive compared to the tempered baths that can cost a fortune.
    "Only dead fish follow the stream"

[APUG Portfolio] [APUG Blog] [Website]

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    *OT Alert*
    Tim, I just tried the Vericolor in the E-6, 6:30 @ 38.2C, turned out veerry dark. What were your times?

Thanks.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Wrt Vericolor in E-6...nevermind, I totally screwed up:
    "KODAK VERICOLOR Print Film is intended for producing positive transparencies from color negatives and internegatives for displays or photo mechanical reproduction."

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    When I have tried C-41 to E-6 cross processing, I have found that you need to increase exposure several stops, and/or push the film, and possibly use filtration.
    2F/2F

"Truth and love are my law and worship. Form and conscience are my manifestation and guide. Nature and peace are my shelter and companions. Order is my attitude. Beauty and perfection are my attack."

- Rob Tyner (1944 - 1991)

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    I'm afraid I'm a couple of hundred miles from home so I can't go and dig up the negs or look at my notes, but as I recall I didn't adjust in camera exposure but did extend the time of the first developer; that said I seem to recall the 'slides' were rather thin so I may have overdone it.

When I've done it with no adjustments at all though I've wound up with very 'muddy' slides, so some adjustment is definitely necessary...

I've not put much science into it though. When I do cross processing it tends to mean I've got some E6 chemistry that's been on the shelf for a couple of weeks and I don't want to put any 'proper' photos through it!
    Another day goes under; a little bourbon will take the strain...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    What about a E6 FAQ like were talking about for C41 ?
    JayD

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin