Switch to English Language Passer en langue franÁaise Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,219   Posts: 1,532,262   Online: 826

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm
    If it can be done in Germany, I'm definitely in!

/David, Denmark

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Roberts View Post
    I'm sure that a reliable European Kodachrome processing service would be welcomed by those who, like me, have stopped using the film because of the long turnaround time and inconsistent results of Dwayne's.
    What do you consider a long turnaround time? I'm in Finland and I consistently get my films back in 9-14 days, usually exactly 10. (If I mail a film on Monday when I've been shooting over the weekend, I get it back next week's Thursday.)

Quality has always been excellent for me; the occasional water spot is the only thing I could complain about.

Presumably this would need the blessing/co-operation of Kodak, if only to facilitate the issues relating to the fact that Kodachrome is normally sold in the UK (and presumably the rest of Europe) with processing included in the film's cost.
    I very much doubt that could happen. Kodak are not interested in another K-14 lab. K-14 needs good volume to maintain consistent quality; that's part of the reason Kodak closed down lab after lab and now direct everything to Dwayne's.

I would continue to use Dwayne's as I've been very happy with their service, but if this German lab could process 120 film, that would be very exciting, as StorminMatt has noted.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    For the first time in my life I just bought two Kodachrome 64 films.
    I want to test this film while on holiday next summer.
    If I like the pictures, maybe I’ll try to ‘Ilfochrome’ some of them myself.
    Ilfochrome paper and chemicals can be ordered in Berlin (Fotoimpex)

So for the time being I really hope the film isn’t discontinued.

If someone is trying to setup a Kodachrome processing facility in Germany I wish him all the luck.

Robert
    The Netherlands

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    As a few others have said here: if he could do Kodachrome 120 I would be willing to send film from Texas to Deutchland. Bitte, bitte!

Rick

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Maybe all 120 affiliados should drop a question about development at Dwayne's. Maybe this company is willing to give it a try.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Fredrik Sandstrom View Post
    Quality has always been excellent for me; the occasional water spot is the only thing I could complain about.
    I can't say I have had alot of water spots from Dwayne's. My only gripe with Dwayne's is the occasional scratched slide.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Robbedoes View Post
    Maybe all 120 affiliados should drop a question about development at Dwayne's. Maybe this company is willing to give it a try.
    It's been discussed many times in previous threads, Dwayne's (or anyone else) just doesn't have the equipment for this size.

As a Kodachrome enthusiast, I regret it as much as anyone, but 120 Kodachrome is long dead and gone.

(Keep shooting 35mm K64, and support Kodak and Dwayne's, so that we don't lose what's left!)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by railwayman3 View Post
    (Keep shooting 35mm K64, and support Kodak and Dwayne's, so that we don't lose what's left!)
    Iím just starting with this film. Maybe Iíll become addictive :-)

Kind of poll:

Scanning Kodachrome 64 (good, bad, excellent)

Ilfochromes from Kodachrome 64 (Nice, awesome, awefull)

Cheers,

Rob

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by railwayman3 View Post
    It's been discussed many times in previous threads, Dwayne's (or anyone else) just doesn't have the equipment for this size.

As a Kodachrome enthusiast, I regret it as much as anyone, but 120 Kodachrome is long dead and gone.

Considering we don't have any clue of the exact equipment that our German friend has, its a bit of a moot point until he enlightens us.
    He may have got his hands on a K-Lab, in which case AFAIK, that will be 35mm only, or if he's adapting other machinery, that could be a whole different ballgame.
    My 10p worth, Dwaynes is geared for volume, so asking them to attempt anything wider than 35mm would be a tall ask. If in Germany, Uli is looking at more bespoke work, it may be more readily considered.

Unfortunately, unless he gets in contact, and gives us an idea of what his plans are, even if only in theory, we are all playing a game of "What if"
    Last edited by Aurum; 05-29-2009 at 12:20 PM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: More rambling added
    "Flatter Me, and I May Not Believe You. Criticize Me, and I May Not like You. Ignore Me, and I May Not Forgive You. Encourage Me, and I Will Not Forget You."

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    All it would take to process 120 is to hang out over at dwaynes collecting the overflow from the tanks until you had 500 ml of chemistry (probably about 5 minutes) and then setting up a sink line. The main issue is that the film has to be removed from the reel, exposed to a controlled light source, and reloaded no fewer than 2 or 3 times throughout the process, depending on if you load it onto the reel before the remjet removal step. It is quite feasible but doing it without the proper machines (they do not exist anymore) is a major PITA and extremely time consuming.

I have a brick of 120 in my freezer which has been frozen since in date back in 1988 which I'm told is good if you rate it at ISO 50 instead of 64. AFAIK my experiments confirm this. I might give this another shot monday.

It's 99.9% likely that our friend has acquired a K-lab, which would be unfortunate because it's a very expensive paperweight by this point. If he does actually have a larger machine or a special larger machine that can process 120, that could be interesting, but he still has to get/make chemistry for it. Unfortunately, diverting the entire european K14 from dwaynes industry would probably not fare well for kodachrome in general.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  ó   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin