Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,327   Posts: 1,537,010   Online: 1133

View Poll Results: What brand do you shoot more of?

Voters
174. You may not vote on this poll
  • I shoot more Kodak than Fuji.

56 32.18%
  • I shoot more Fuji than Kodak.

59 33.91%
  • I shoot both.

45 25.86%
  • I shoot mostly with another film company.

14 8.05%
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567

Thread: Kodak or Fuji

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Gold works for you? Have you tried Kodak Portra or Kodak Ektar?
    Helping to save analog photography one exposure at a time

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I think the survey would be more useful to us with 8 categories as follows:

I shoot mostly Kodak C-41 films
    I shoot mostly Kodak E-6 films
    I shoot mostly Fuji C-41 films
    I shoot mostly Fuji E-6 films
    I shoot mostly Kodak B&W films
    I shoot mostly Fuji B&W films
    I shoot Other brands of color
    I shoot Other brands of B&W

This should allow a person to mark at least 2 categories, one color and one B&W and would give us a lot of "market research". It might allow 3 to be marked for B&W, reversal and negative. IDK but this poll gives no data about reversal vs negative and can confuse color and B&W IMHO.

PE

Shooter
    35mm
    I shoot Ilford mostly. For slides, Fuji, for color negative, Kodak. I don't shoot much color neg, so out of the two options, I choose Fuji.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Before answering, shall I assume this only pertains to color films, since the third major manufacturer, Ilford, is not a choice?
    2F/2F

"Truth and love are my law and worship. Form and conscience are my manifestation and guide. Nature and peace are my shelter and companions. Order is my attitude. Beauty and perfection are my attack."

- Rob Tyner (1944 - 1991)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    That is the problem, and ambiguity, about this current poll. Even my suggestions could be expanded on.

PE

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Ektagraphic View Post
    Gold works for you? Have you tried Kodak Portra or Kodak Ektar?
    Yes, I've tried Portra 400VC in 120 format. I liked that one quite a bit actually, didn't care much for the UC line in 35mm, seemed either a bit too foggy in the shadows or my yellows would get blown out. Maybe a bad batch or processing issues. I haven't tried Ektar yet...what do you think of it? I'm wanting to try the Rollei Digibase films, maybe the reversal as the maskless negatives sound like it could be an issue. As silly as this sounds, I'm trying to get something close the old 5035 Kodacolor II film from the mid-late 70's.

I found a batch of Fuji negatives my father shot in the 70's, with prints on 3M paper. The prints looked to be in good condition, but with subdued in color and low contrast. When I scanned the negatives, the colors were brash with somewhat high contrast comparable to modern films, but with the grain comparable to the Kodacolor film of the time. I guess 3M paper back then was very subdued?
    Last edited by popeetheus; 07-17-2009 at 04:58 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by StorminMatt View Post
    I find it interesting that people say this. Because everywhere I go, Fuji films are generally a dollar or two MORE than comparable Kodak films. Maybe things are different when ordering online. But at actual stores, Kodak products tend to be a little cheaper.
    This is not the case at any store I've ever been to. Where I get my film (Freestyle and Samy's), Kodak generally runs about 10-20 percent higher than the comparable Fuji product. I have only bought film online once in my life (not counting film from private parties off of APUG classifieds or E-Bay).
    Last edited by 2F/2F; 07-17-2009 at 05:04 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    2F/2F

"Truth and love are my law and worship. Form and conscience are my manifestation and guide. Nature and peace are my shelter and companions. Order is my attitude. Beauty and perfection are my attack."

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by jd callow View Post
    I generally shoot more Kodak than Fuji, but currently it is about the same. When Kodak dropped 100T and 160T I lost about 50% of my colour film and probably 80% of my T film. I have about 25 rolls of Fuji 64T left and when that's gone I'm going to have to use filters (EPY if it is still made sucks). My daylight transparency films are all Kodak.
    I am right with you on Portra 100T and Ektachrome 160T (and 320T), as well as the point that EPY is destroyed by Fujichrome T64. I have 160T, 100T, and some NPL stashed, and I am always looking for more. I guess I will have to start doing the same for T64. DAMN!
    2F/2F

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Photo Engineer View Post
    That is the problem, and ambiguity, about this current poll. Even my suggestions could be expanded on.

PE
    Everything would be solved with 3 different polls (BW, C41, E6).

Shooter
    35mm
    There are other processes too: dr5 Chrome? Ilfochrome? Okay, I'm just being pedantic. The original poll I don't like though. Just shot some HP5--I love the stuff, and to consider Ilford an "other" is anathema to me.

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin