Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,931   Posts: 1,556,924   Online: 1090

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Using Photo-Flo on color negs

hey all,

i've found that by giving my color negs a little soak in photo-flo/distilled h2o after the stabilizer step in my c-41 processing, i have been getting the cleanest negs to date. At least with my personal processing

I seem to remember that someone here recommended that this not be done. I just want to confirm that if it is true.

So, is using a very mild photo-flo/distilled water solution (same as for b/w negs) ok for c-41 films?

I hate having to clean negs before printing......

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    It won't hurt them but they're not getting their bath of bacteria killer. Without that you are likely to get fungus and whatnot eating at your negatives because they lack any silver which protects the gelatine of the emulsion from eating.

Try adding photo flo to the stabilizer if it doesn't contain a surfactant. I know the tetenal press kit doesn't. That's a better way to go. Or buy the C41 stabilizer Kodak sells.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by tiberiustibz View Post
    It won't hurt them but they're not getting their bath of bacteria killer. Without that you are likely to get fungus and whatnot eating at your negatives because they lack any silver which protects the gelatine of the emulsion from eating.

Try adding photo flo to the stabilizer if it doesn't contain a surfactant. I know the tetenal press kit doesn't. That's a better way to go. Or buy the C41 stabilizer Kodak sells.

Indeed, I have been using the stabilizer as Kodak reccomends. What I'm wondering is if using the distilled water/photo-flo bath after the stabilizing step will do the negs any harm in the long term.

I don't want any fungus/funk eating my negs thank you very much

Shooter
    Multi Format
    The old stabilizer was Photoflo, formalin, and water; the new final rinse contains a wetting agent. Suitably dilute Photoflo should do no harm.

mts
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Being too lazy to mix or keep mixed diluted photo-flo, I use stabilizer for both color negative, E-6, and black & white negatives. The formalin isn't needed for b&w owing to the silver content, but it does not hurt. In my opinion, you definitely should be using a stabilizer with a wetting agent, although it's my understanding that the most recent emulsions no longer need the formalin treatment.
    By denying the facts, any paradox can be sustained--Galileo

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Modern color emulsions no longer need the dye stabilizing act of the formalin, but they do need the antiseptic properties. Color films dried with only photoflo will not be resistant to bacteria in fungus. You won't see it immediately, but I'd hate to open up a box of negatives in 10 years and find them eaten.

E76
    Shooter
    Instant Films
    Images
    Why do you color negatives need anti-fungal treatment and black and white negatives do not? Is it the dyes or some other difference in the emulsion that makes color film a tasty treat?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Do not ever treat a color product with any bath after the stabilser or final rinse. It will eventuallycause problems.

B&W products do not need such treatment due to the fact that the silver metal is an antifungal/bacteriostat and the film contains no juicy organic materials. The silver is not present in color materials, it is all removed during processing.

Color Print materials contain some stabilzers incorporated into the coating, but you can use a stabilzer for color prints as well.

PE

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Photo Engineer View Post
    Do not ever treat a color product with any bath after the stabilser or final rinse. It will eventuallycause problems.

B&W products do not need such treatment due to the fact that the silver metal is an antifungal/bacteriostat and the film contains no juicy organic materials. The silver is not present in color materials, it is all removed during processing.

Color Print materials contain some stabilzers incorporated into the coating, but you can use a stabilzer for color prints as well.

PE
    so PE,

should i mix the stabilizer/ now final rinse with distilled water as i do with photo-flo? i have a little bit of a hard water problem in my area. not really hard, but enough to leave slight residue on negs. especially color.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    The kodak stabilizer includes photo flo in it... try adding a bit more concentrate if the water is still beading.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin