Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,888   Posts: 1,520,745   Online: 1095

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format

Bulk loading questions

I bought 100 ft roll of Fuji 160 S pro and have found a few suprises:
    The 2"- 5 CM core made the roll to big for any bulk loader I am aquainted with certianly the Loyd's and Alden 74 I have. Is there a loader that takes this bigger roll? It was a chore taking 45 minuites to hand respool onto a 1" -2.4 CM core. I was a shock to me the cost of cassets these days 55 to 79 cents US at B&H and not much discount in lots of 100, any cheaper source ? I"m curious about a diffrence in emulsion numbers the current 160 S pro is 502, this is marked 549-091 it expired 6/2006.

Is my understanding correct that the S means saturation ? which would explain it's lack luster preformance under overcast skys with my test roll.

Jay

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I have never seen Fuji bulk. I have some Portra 160 NC. I just plopped it into my loader, no issues.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I forgot one important question: are the more expensive plastic cannisters better than the old metal ones?
    I mean the felt light traped , I have not seen any of the old SW type for years.
    And how many uses are people getting out of the cannisters ? is there a way to check them ? I clean mine with vacum or compressed air so I'm not so worried about grit in the felt just light leaks.
    Jay

Shooter
    Multi Format
    You can use and re-use the metal cassets 5 times. The plastic ones 10-15x but they are more sensitive for electrostatic charge so dust.

Great film Fiji pro 160S (I use it in regular cassets) At the moment the last bulk of Agfa Optima 400: Eur. 8,- for 30,5m/100ft exp. 07. Two years ago very low in price as rest stock Agfa.

I use the old cassets of Fomapan 100-200-400 which have no safety lock and you can re-use them for at least 5 times.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I have both and I do prefer the plastic. I have dropped the metal cans and found the end can pop off, ruining the film. Other than that, I guess it's a preference.

I have yet to have an issue with light leaks. Realistically if a canister get's that worn, I would just toss it. I don't have film in the canisters for that long ether. I roll as I need them. I have 3 bulk loaders; one for colour (portra 160 NC), one for crap BW (cheap whatever stuff usually expired) and one for good BW. I keep the loaders in the fridge, which is dark when the door is closed...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by RobertV View Post
    You can use and re-use the metal cassets 5 times. The plastic ones 10-15x but they are more sensitive for electrostatic charge so dust.

I get much more use out of them. Just a little tlc.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Did you get your Alden Used or new? Mine came with two mandrels for different film spool sizes.
    Perhaps you could make something to fit ? Or do you mean its too long to close the cover? I saved all my
    1960's Kodak pop-open casettes (B4 they crimped them on) for re-loading. Also use the plastic ones and the
    old Nikon metal re-loadable cassettes.
    Best regards,
    /Clay

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Ya I'm confused to. I thought the bigger mandrel was for short rolls. The OP is saying a 100' roll had a bigger centre core?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I keep the loaders in the fridge, which is dark when the door is closed...
    Are you sure ? ;O

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by dances_w_clouds View Post
    Are you sure ? ;O
    When I put my little sister in to check, that what she said...lol

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin