Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,898   Posts: 1,584,361   Online: 751

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    Medium Format

Mystery Film in Old Bulk Film Loader

Someone gave me a couple of bulk film loaders with mystery film in them. One is labeled "931". I have no idea what this stuff is. It is 35mm film with sprocket holes. The film is a nice Kodak yellow color on the glossy side, with the other side looking more like a whitish tan color.

Any clues? I have never seen 35mm film with this appearance.

Oh, a clue! There are little tic marks on one edge, on the sprocket line, repeated every four sprocket holes. On the opposite edge is "10 S22992", repeated at intervals of several inches. This is starting to sound like movie film.

Shooter
    Medium Format

Quick film ID

If the emulsion side is gray, it is B&W. The other side can be most any color from gray, green, blue or red or even black. Color film always has a brown or tan emulsion with the back side being dark brown or black.

Shooter
    Med. Format Pan

Mystery film in old bulk film loader

Hello Dave:In the various pro labs I worked in over the years,I saw almost every type of film going.If my memory serves me,this may sound like Kodak B&W Infrared film.If it is hard to tear,there is a good possibility that it is infrared film.It was coated on a estar(polyester)film base.The clue that triggered my memory is the mention that the film base is yellow.

If Photo Engineer has a look at this post,he would know more about it.

Doug

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    This list has neither of those numbers on it, and it has a lot of numbers. Try developing a clip in a basic B&W developer - see if any other info comes up on the edge.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Thanks for the responses. I will try an unexposed strip of this in b&w developer. I was thinking infrared b&w, too, after some browsing for information. I was active with an arts photography group, back when I got this, and some of them were using infrared, so that is possible.

I will post as soon as can with results.

Shooter
    Multi Format

Edge notch codes

Most films have edge notches to identify them here is a extensive listing
    http://photondetector.com/tools_ref/filmdata/
    Jay

Shooter
    Large Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayd View Post
    Most films have edge notches to identify them here is a extensive listing
    http://photondetector.com/tools_ref/filmdata/
    Jay
    hi jayd

that would be sheet film,
    but i think the OP has the remains
    of a 100foot 35mm bulk load spool.

john

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Then there is this list of motion picture films
    http://www.evertz.com/resources/FilmID.pdf
    I'm inclined to think you should Emailand ask these evertz people or search all the film mfg sites if you
    haven't already.
    The S is likely telling the type film.
    Jay

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I tried a variety of exposures, from ASA 25, to ASA 1000, to several seconds at "bulb". I did get some images on the film. The images did not go all the way through. I could see them on one side of the film, but not through the back side of the emulsion. I saw images via reflection, in direct sunlight, but did not see images through the entire film strip. Weird. I think I'm done experimenting with this stuff. Unknown film in 35mm is now essentially worthless.

Oh. This was developed in Rodinal 1+14, for about 13 minutes.
    Last edited by Dave Pritchard; 06-07-2009 at 07:13 PM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: add a line

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Well no, you're not going to see the image all the way through until it's fixed out.
    Frank Schifano

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin