Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,219   Posts: 1,532,224   Online: 818

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm

Exposed film and heat

How does exposed film react when subject to extreme heat? What kind of result do will i get if i keep a roll of Portra VC or something similiar in a black metal box in on the balcony for a couple of weeks? Clues, anyone?

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Nothing good will happen, though film is more resilient than you think.

Would you yourself be comfortable sweltering for weeks in a black box on a sunny balcony? If not, then why on earth would you subject your film to such treatment?

Keep it as cool and shady as you can.
    Michael Sebastian
    Website | Blog

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry9000/4.6.0.167 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/102 UP.Link/6.3.0.0.0)

If it must be kept as such, then at least make the box white to reflect as much light/heat as possible. But I must advise against it.
    Thank you.
    CWalrath
    APUG BLIND PRINT EXCHANGE
    DE Darkroom

"Wubba, wubba, wubba. Bing, bang, bong. Yuck, yuck, yuck and a fiddle-dee-dee." - The Yeti

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I think he's trying to ruin his film, right?

How about subjecting it to boiling water? Just try it! Who knows, you might be the first to really try. :]

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Are you trying to achieve interesting effects?
    I know that exposed film loses contrast and effective speed as it's left to sit. It's much less stable than unexposed film. You might get color shifts with color film as well.

Shooter
    35mm
    Im doing this on purpose, just to see what happens. The result i really would like to achieve is something similar to this ; http://www.flickr.com/photos/8746365@N02/2361989729/ but that's probably wishful thinking. I'll post the results when the film is processed.

Shooter
    35mm
    I was always told that exposed film was more sensitive to heat than an unexposed one. In addition, grain would normally show bigger than normal after such mistreatment. Color film should be affected. I would say with a predominant magenta.

Shooter
    35mm
    The effect on the film is probably too unpredictable to produce or repeat any specific result.

If I really wanted to duplicate some particular effect, I'd probably start from a "normal" negative and see what I could do in the darkroom printing. (Or dare I say that there are times when even I have to concede that Photoshop is the best and quickest tool for the particular job. ) It depends, of course, whether you want to enjoy experimenting, or if you just want to get a similar result to the photo on Flikr in the easiest and most economical way.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Why don't you visit ebay and look for some ancient film?

Shooter
    35mm
    An interesting question, one which I have pondered recently. Last Fall I came across a roll of Tmax 400 that I'd had for several years but never shot, so, rather than throw it out as "too old" I put it in a Canon F-1, took out the camera battery, and tossed (gently) it into the glove box of my car. That's where it remained, taken in and out for shooting on occasion, from subzero Winter weather to Spring warmth. I finished the roll this weekend and it turned out fine... but this is B&W of course. Now that Summer is here I believe I will have to use a digital for my car camera. Not sure exactly how hot my car gets under the Summer sun but I'm sure it would ruin any color film I might use... maybe not B&W? I don't know.

I have heard that film is even more affected by radiation than heat, so perhaps you might want to invesigate that instead.
    In life you only get one great dog, one great car, and one great woman. Pet the dog. Drive the car. Make love to the woman. Don't mix them up.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin