Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,878   Posts: 1,520,332   Online: 1221

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Shooter
    35mm
    fogging. Probably time to replace the seals on your camera.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by bob100684 View Post
    fogging. Probably time to replace the seals on your camera.
    Hmm, you might be right. I'd thought the positioning on the roll was just random, but now that I look at it it *could* be a sudden but intermittent light leak. I'll put another roll through tomorrow and see if I can reproduce the problem.

-NT
    Nathan Tenny
    San Diego, CA, USA

The lady of the house has to be a pretty swell sort of person to put up with the annoyance of a photographer.
    -The Little Technical Library, _Developing, Printing, And Enlarging_

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Looks like fog to me, but not from the camera. If it were, the fog patches could not be at right angles the way they appear to be. At least that is my working opinion right now.

PE

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Well, the test roll says it isn't the camera; I got a complete roll of clean, unfogged frames. I'll talk to the guy at the lab tomorrow and see what he says, but it looks as if the fogging (or whatever) must have happened in processing rather than in camera.

For them as asked, by the way, it's a Wirgin 35mm stereo camera from the 1950s, basically two Edixas stuck together. As far as I can tell, it doesn't have foam light seals like modern SLRs, so much as light traps created by overlapping metal layers. I think it would be quite flattered if it were aware that someone mistook it for a Hasselblad. :-)

-NT
    Last edited by ntenny; 06-06-2009 at 01:48 AM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: camera details
    Nathan Tenny
    San Diego, CA, USA

The lady of the house has to be a pretty swell sort of person to put up with the annoyance of a photographer.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    The good news is that it is not your camera and that it was not a critical roll of film.

The bad news is that it happened to you.

May things only improve for you.

Steve
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Well, I spoke too soon; on closer examination of the test roll I did find similar, but very minimal, fogging in a couple of places. So I worked out where on the camera the light leak would have to be, took the camera out in bright sunny conditions today, and made sure to fiddle around with pressure from different directions on that area---and lo and behold, the resulting roll exhibits substantial chunks of fog, though nothing nearly as drastic as the colour roll that started this thread.

So I've got an inconsistent light leak, and I'm off to figure out what to do about it. I guess a good first effort would be to just put electrical tape over the section I think is leaking, after loading the camera, and verify that that actually does fix it.

Thanks again for all the analyses and suggestions.

-NT
    Nathan Tenny
    San Diego, CA, USA

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin