Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,664   Posts: 1,481,682   Online: 748

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Green blobs on negatives; any hope?

I've just gotten a roll of Superia 400 back from the developer (a minilab at a place where I've historically had good luck with the results---I don't shoot enough colour to justify doing my own). I had them develop only and return the roll uncut, for reasons not germane to this discussion, and when I got the roll home, I discovered that there were several substantial areas of blobby green colour on the negatives.

I can't see any particular pattern to how and where the green appears; it doesn't follow frame lines, has no particular consistent shape, and seems to overlay rather than replace the image---I can still see the actual image, but stained green. The edges of the discolouration are distinct in some places, and in others it fades away with no clear boundary. The total affected area is maybe 10-20% of the roll.

The store's processor is something called an AKS 19 FP, sold by the somewhat weirdly named "KIS Photo-Me Group", and as I say I've gotten perfectly good results from them in the past. The guy who did the processing is off until the weekend, when I'll go back in and talk to him about what happened, but in the meantime I'd like to solicit APUG's wisdom. Is there a standard cause for this sort of thing, and is there any hope for recovering the affected frames? Bleach and redevelop, or something like that?

The images aren't particularly critical, fortunately---there are a couple of pictures of my son that I'd like to recover, but it was just a "messing around" roll.

Any thoughts?

Thanks

-NT
    Nathan Tenny
    San Diego, CA, USA

The lady of the house has to be a pretty swell sort of person to put up with the annoyance of a photographer.
    -The Little Technical Library, _Developing, Printing, And Enlarging_

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Maybe PE or others can be more helpful, but your first line of approach would be to talk to the processing people at the store.

Steve
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Sounds like some kind of contamination.

KIS are a medium sized manufacturer of processing equipment, problems with colour processing are usually down to poor maintenance and operator errors.

Ian

Shooter
    35mm
    re bleach and fix.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Wow, thanks for the quick wave of responses, everyone.

I'll talk to the processing guy (the lab supervisor is the one who ran this roll, and from my past interactions with him I think he's a reasonable guy who actually gives a damn about film processing) when he's back at work. Mainly, I'm trying to find out if there's anything I can expect him to *do* about it, or if I'm just registering a concern and maybe getting a free roll of film or something.

Someone suggested redoing the bleach-and-fix step. Is that something I can expect the minilab to be able to do, or am I on my own?

Thanks

-NT
    Nathan Tenny
    San Diego, CA, USA

The lady of the house has to be a pretty swell sort of person to put up with the annoyance of a photographer.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    There are 2 things here: bad processing and bad wash, maybe dirty rollers.

AFTER you have spoken to the guy from the lab you can roll this film in a reel, let it soak for a minute and apply a luke-warm shower to it and see if the green stuff disapears.
    If it is just on the film carrier you can try a wet cotton swab under running water.

Peter

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    If you do anything that rewets the film, remember that the last step must be to give it an authorized Final Rinse or it will have image stability problems.

Otherwise, I could not hope to guess at this point. The dyes will shift color with extremes in pH, but if this were the case, they may be ruined. IDK. Can you post a scan?

PE

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by ntenny View Post
    Wow, thanks for the quick wave of responses, everyone.

I'll talk to the processing guy (the lab supervisor is the one who ran this roll, and from my past interactions with him I think he's a reasonable guy who actually gives a damn about film processing) when he's back at work. Mainly, I'm trying to find out if there's anything I can expect him to *do* about it, or if I'm just registering a concern and maybe getting a free roll of film or something.

Someone suggested redoing the bleach-and-fix step. Is that something I can expect the minilab to be able to do, or am I on my own?

Thanks

-NT
    If the guy knows how to trick the equipment, then yes. At least on fuji equipment, you can trick the lid sensor of the film processor and put the film attached to a leader card back into any chemical instead of starting at the developer. He may or may not know how to do this, and this may or may not be possible with KIS equipment.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Here's one of the more dramatically affected frames. In this one the discoloration spans the whole height of the frame; in some others it's only at the bottom. It spills across into the rebate and all the way to the edge of the film---unfortunately I already cropped the scans.

Look like anything?

Thanks

-NT
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails frame26.jpg  
    Last edited by ntenny; 06-04-2009 at 10:30 PM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: fixed attachment
    Nathan Tenny
    San Diego, CA, USA

Shooter
    Multi Format
    What kind of camera? If it is a Hasselblad, based on this one photo I would suspect a problem with light seals.

Steve
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin