Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,828   Posts: 1,582,121   Online: 1074

Shooter
    35mm
    Images

Do different films react differently to polarizer filter?

I realize this is probably an elementary question, but to save me a lot of work testing several films at one shoot...can anyone give me a heads up on this?
    I'm wondering if different films respond better/worse to a polarizer filter, or would they all respond the same.
    If the polarizer was in the same position, each film would get the same light source, but would it handle that "polarized light source" in a different manner based in the density curve of the film for each color?

Thanks,
    Jed

Shooter
    Medium Format
    What the polarizer does to colour depends on what light is polarized and filtered out by it.
    The difference between films, how they react to colour, will be the same as it is without polarizer.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Q.G. View Post
    What the polarizer does to colour depends on what light is polarized and filtered out by it.
    The difference between films, how they react to colour, will be the same as it is without polarizer.
    To go a step further, a polarizer will saturate color film but not the color of black & white film.

Steve
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Sirius Glass View Post
    To go a step further, a polarizer will saturate color film but not the color of black & white film.

Steve
    But it will alter the tonality of the same areas that would be more saturated.

Ian

Shooter
    Medium Format
    And whether a polarizer will indeed produce more saturated colours depends on the reflective properties of all the coloured thingies in the scene.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    OK, that makes sense. I was wondering if I'd have to do the same film tests with a polarizer that I have already done without one - if they responded differently to the polarized light.
    But, I understand - it's an apples to apples comparison. Whatever the polarizer does to one film, it will do the equivalent to another film.
    Thanks!
    Jed

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin