Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,905   Posts: 1,521,293   Online: 1218

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Shooter
    35mm
    Thanks Ah yes glass I hadn't thought of that. I hope that he/she has a really big enclosure behind the glass. In the U.K. we used to keep them in 30-40 ft cages and then parade them around a circus ring. The cages at zoos were a little better but not much. The dark ages were chillingly quite recently.

pentaxuser

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    What a great shot of a beautiful animal!
    Eddy McDonald
    www.fotoartes.com
    Eschew defenestration!

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Yes! I loves me some 160PortraVC. I also love 400PortraNC; it may be the best color film ever made. It's astounding. And I use this stuff almost exclusively for landscape in 4x5.
    Bruce Watson
    AchromaticArts.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I have used Portra for more than Portraits. Before Ektar, for the very few rolls of negative film I shoot, it has been/still is Portra.
    Helping to save analog photography one exposure at a time

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I'vebeen using Portra for landscapes, works quite well for waterfalls.
    Gary Beasley

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    What a beautiful subject so well photographed! Just stunning, what is the Zoo? I've photographed in Zoo's and it isn't easy with glass and distance etc. and the lighting is what you get.
    Everytime I find a film or paper that I like, they discontinue it. - Paul Strand - Aperture monograph on Strand

Shooter
    35mm

Thanks to all who commented!

Quote Originally Posted by Curt View Post
    What a beautiful subject so well photographed! Just stunning, what is the Zoo? I've photographed in Zoo's and it isn't easy with glass and distance etc. and the lighting is what you get.
    Aye, I've been taking zoo pics for over 20 years, and in all that time I can say that I only have three (including this one) that I really, REALLY like. If it's not glass it's chain link fence, if neither of those then the animals are too far away or asleep or underground or it's raining or inexplicably, a complete solar eclipse occurs.

This is taken at Omaha's Henry Dorley Zoo. The zoo has a lot of nice exhibits and many have indoor components so you can get out of the rain if you want, which was great on this trip because it did rain most of the day. They have an amazing gorilla exhibit but I couldn't get a decent shot there - the glass was packed with people and I had a wild two-year-old to contend with.
    Last edited by Wolfeye; 06-10-2009 at 10:19 AM. Click to view previous post history.
    In life you only get one great dog, one great car, and one great woman. Pet the dog. Drive the car. Make love to the woman. Don't mix them up.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by BetterSense View Post
    I have to say that is impressive detail for a print film. I never seem to get as good a results when I shoot color. The last batch of Kodachrome I shot was rather unsharp. I think it must be because I scan the film with a cheap (Epson V500) scanner. In B&W, I get way better results by scanning even small analog prints than I do by scanning the film directly. I should get into RA4, or at least start having my stuff processed by a competent lab.
    if you're having trouble getting sharpness with color, maybe it's your lens or the wrong film (go 100) or not using your aperture...

there is nothing wrong with the Epson V500. I am really happy with the scans I've got with the V500. IMO better than the Coolscan IV/V that I've used (and liked).

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Epic Win
    www.EASmithV.com

"The camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera."— Dorothea Lange
    http://www.flickr.com/easmithv/
    RIP Kodachrome

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin