Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,872   Posts: 1,583,487   Online: 1044

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    US Post Office tracking will only tell you that the Post Office got the package/letter and when it was delivered. It will not give transit data.

Steve
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Well at least you will know that it has definatly been delivered. You will also know when it has been delievered...That's all I worry about. To me, it is worth the $0.62
    Helping to save analog photography one exposure at a time

Shooter
    35mm
    I sent mine through walmart and it was a bit less than 2 weeks to Dallas.

Are the Dwayne's CDs all that bad? I shot a roll of kodachrome on vacation and was disappointed at the image quality of the scans I made with my Epson V500. The film itself might be fine but I like to send my images to my family, etc digitally. I haven't had any trouble scanning other slide films, so I'm not really impressed with Kodachrome at this point. Maybe I should try the Dwayne's CD? Can you get them through walmart?
    f/22 and be there.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Kodachrome is a fantastic film for projection but it is a difficult film to scan. The scratch-reduction technologies that a lot of scanners have (like Nikon ICE) won't work on Kodachrome. That is part of the problem.

I'm eager to hear more opinions on the Dwayne's scanning, since I have 5 rolls to mail to the lab when I get home. (I'm typing this from St. John's (.nl.ca) International Airport's departure lounge, in fact. Home tonight. Amazing that you can fly west across Canada for 6 hours and still be a 2-hour flight from the west coast. )
    Jim MacKenzie - Regina, Saskatchewan, Canada

A bunch of Nikons; Feds, Zorkis and a Kiev; Pentax 67-II (inherited from my deceased father-in-law); Bronica SQ-A; and a nice Shen Hao 4x5 field camera with 3 decent lenses that needs to be taken outside more. Oh, and as of mid-2012, one of those bodies we don't talk about here.

Favourite film: do I need to pick only one?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I thought the Dwayne's scans were fine at the price. Sample here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/rebecca_ore/3586468401/, others also tagged Kodachrome.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by BetterSense View Post
    I sent mine through walmart and it was a bit less than 2 weeks to Dallas.

Are the Dwayne's CDs all that bad? I shot a roll of kodachrome on vacation and was disappointed at the image quality of the scans I made with my Epson V500. The film itself might be fine but I like to send my images to my family, etc digitally. I haven't had any trouble scanning other slide films, so I'm not really impressed with Kodachrome at this point. Maybe I should try the Dwayne's CD? Can you get them through walmart?
    From my experience, flatbeds just don't work well with slides of any kind (at least if you want any kind of REAL quality). A dedicated film scanner is needed to get any kind of quality results. Secondly, Silverfast is the only scanner software I have found that produces good results with Kodachrome when it comes to color. The colors seem to be off with virtually anything else, and require post-processing skills that are well beyond mine in order to correct. Finally, avoid dust reduction of any kind with Kodachrome. Just use an air bulb to get the slides as clean as possible, and clone out any remaining dust in photoshop.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by PhotoJim View Post
    My guess is that they do batches as film builds in quantity sufficiently, so it may be several days between batches at times.
    They run it every business day, have plenty to run. I use Fed-X express saver or ground and get it back very fast.
    "I'm the freak that shoots film. God bless the freaks!" ~ Mainecoonmaniac ~

dmr
    Shooter
    35mm
    I live about 200 miles north of Parsons, KS. If I get a roll of Kodachrome out in the Monday morning mail, it will always arrive back at home by Saturday at the latest, sometimes Friday, and once - surprise! - Thursday!

I have yet to try their CDs. I've heard they do a much better job processing Kodachrome than they do scanning it!

I've never had any trouble scanning Kodachrome slides, as long as the slides are properly exposed. Attention to detail, overall, is the secret.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by dmr View Post
    I live about 200 miles north of Parsons, KS. If I get a roll of Kodachrome out in the Monday morning mail, it will always arrive back at home by Saturday at the latest, sometimes Friday, and once - surprise! - Thursday!

I have yet to try their CDs. I've heard they do a much better job processing Kodachrome than they do scanning it!

I've never had any trouble scanning Kodachrome slides, as long as the slides are properly exposed. Attention to detail, overall, is the secret.
    I am going to try to call them today, I am getting paranoid I put film in a padded envelop, by the way I like your rangefinder series, amazing what you can do with those old cameras. I am entering the rangefinder world myself with a Super 23, it is just to heavy to carry around, to many cameras to little time.
    "Art is a lie that enables us to tell the truth" -Picasso
    http://www.jaimebermudez.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I live in Michigan and get my Kodachrome slides from Dwayne's within 10 days consistently. Once or twice it took a just a little bit longer. 7 or 8 days is the average for me.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin