Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 74,510   Posts: 1,645,172   Online: 1053

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Sirius Glass View Post
    I found that I was better off going to the Epson website and buying a reconditioned photographic scanner for $100 including shipping.
    Let me second that. The $100 refurb unit at Epson was just the ticket for my needs. I bought one and couldn't be happer with it. And it does a swell job on Kodachrome, too. (And to show you how attached to it I am, I don't even remember the model number, so I can't tell you which one it is.)

Now I'll admit that all I do with the scanner is make "way better scans" than I would get at a processor, but certainly not anything I would try to pass off as professional work for publication. I don't publish, so it's not an issue. My friends and family think it's awesome, and when cousins take the emailed pics to Wal-Mart or CVS to print they come out better than their own digital camera. That's good enough for me.

And since I process all my own stuff except K-14, I can't blame anyone else.

But you have to keep in mind that for me it's a hobby, not an income stream. If this put food on my table instead of burning up my entertainment money I might think differently abut the Epson consumer grade scanner.

MB
    Michael Batchelor
    Industrial Informatics, Inc.
    www.industrialinformatics.com

The camera catches light. The photographer catches life.

dmr
    Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by jaimeb82 View Post
    by the way I like your rangefinder series, amazing what you can do with those old cameras.
    Thanks. {blush}

Not to hijack the thread, but one thing I really believe is that the combination of 1970s glass and 21st. century film is a sweet spot that's hard to beat! Those cameras were made when "High Speed" Ektachrome was ASA 160 and Kodachrome was 25. The cameras of that vintage and the films of the current vintage just compliment each other.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I mailed my first ever roll of Kodachrome off to Dwayne's on 5-27, got the slides and CD today. Apparently the scan process reveals the lack of forgiveness inherent in K-chrome. Some pictures show zero grain while most of the bracketed shots are considerably grainier. I kind of liked the effect in a couple of shots, though.

Rick

Shooter
    35mm
    It MUST be remembered that scanning is an inherently tricky thing to do (which is one of MANY reasons why I will NEVER put down digital!). Sometimes, scans look as brilliant as the slides they came from. Other times, a scan of a perfectly good slide looks like potty, no matter what you do. This can happen no matter how good you are at the art of scanning, even if you have a good quality film scanner (like any of the Nikon models). It should come as no surprise, then, that when someone like Dwayne's scans a whole roll of film as a batch process, at least a few (and perhaps many more) of the scans are going to be garbage (even if the slides aren't).

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by skyrick View Post
    I mailed my first ever roll of Kodachrome off to Dwayne's on 5-27, got the slides and CD today. Apparently the scan process reveals the lack of forgiveness inherent in K-chrome. Some pictures show zero grain while most of the bracketed shots are considerably grainier. I kind of liked the effect in a couple of shots, though.

Rick
    I mailed mine 5/29 from NYC, not here yet...with CD also.
    "Art is a lie that enables us to tell the truth" -Picasso
    http://www.jaimebermudez.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The moment of truth has arrived.....

DwaynesPhoto.com Shipping to me

A package was shipped to you on 06/09/2009 via U.S. Postal Service First-Class to the following address:
    "Art is a lie that enables us to tell the truth" -Picasso
    http://www.jaimebermudez.com

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Great!
    Helping to save analog photography one exposure at a time

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by skyrick View Post
    Apparently the scan process reveals the lack of forgiveness inherent in K-chrome. Some pictures show zero grain while most of the bracketed shots are considerably grainier.

Rick
    WOO-HOO! I just became a Kodachrome convert! I just bought a Pana-Vue lighted slide viewer to examine the slides from my first roll of K-chrome from Dwayne's, and it's like f***in' 3D! No sign of grain; even the low contrast shots pop!

I'm convinced.

Rick

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I hope you all know about The Kodachrome Project and it's forums found at http://kodachromeproject.com/ and http://www.kodachromeproject.com/forum/index.php
    Helping to save analog photography one exposure at a time

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    [QUOTE=michaelbsc;810092]Let me second that. The $100 refurb unit at Epson was just the ticket for my needs. I bought one and couldn't be happer with it. And it does a swell job on Kodachrome, too. (And to show you how attached to it I am, I don't even remember the model number, so I can't tell you which one it is.)

Michaelbsc and Sirius Glass:

Are these flatbed scanners? All I want is competent scans with enough resolution to put on my website. AND accurate color, more or less. Are these scanners good enough for that? Sounds like it. And they do good kodachrome?

Now I REALLY wish we could discuss scanning here!

Jeff

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin