Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,523   Posts: 1,572,276   Online: 798

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by skyrick View Post
    Apparently the scan process reveals the lack of forgiveness inherent in K-chrome. Some pictures show zero grain while most of the bracketed shots are considerably grainier.

Rick
    WOO-HOO! I just became a Kodachrome convert! I just bought a Pana-Vue lighted slide viewer to examine the slides from my first roll of K-chrome from Dwayne's, and it's like f***in' 3D! No sign of grain; even the low contrast shots pop!

I'm convinced.

Rick

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I hope you all know about The Kodachrome Project and it's forums found at http://kodachromeproject.com/ and http://www.kodachromeproject.com/forum/index.php
    Helping to save analog photography one exposure at a time

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    [QUOTE=michaelbsc;810092]Let me second that. The $100 refurb unit at Epson was just the ticket for my needs. I bought one and couldn't be happer with it. And it does a swell job on Kodachrome, too. (And to show you how attached to it I am, I don't even remember the model number, so I can't tell you which one it is.)

Michaelbsc and Sirius Glass:

Are these flatbed scanners? All I want is competent scans with enough resolution to put on my website. AND accurate color, more or less. Are these scanners good enough for that? Sounds like it. And they do good kodachrome?

Now I REALLY wish we could discuss scanning here!

Jeff

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by jglass View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by michaelbsc View Post
    Let me second that. The $100 refurb unit at Epson was just the ticket for my needs. I bought one and couldn't be happer with it. And it does a swell job on Kodachrome, too. (And to show you how attached to it I am, I don't even remember the model number, so I can't tell you which one it is.)

Are these flatbed scanners? All I want is competent scans with enough resolution to put on my website. AND accurate color, more or less. Are these scanners good enough for that? Sounds like it. And they do good kodachrome?

Now I REALLY wish we could discuss scanning here!

Jeff
    The Epson 4490 is a flatbed scanner with negative holders. I am pointing out that this is a low cost solution. You could always go with the Hasselblad X1 or X5.

I do not know how it does with Kodachrome. It does a good job with Ektachrome.

Steve
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    [QUOTE=jglass;811173]
    Quote Originally Posted by michaelbsc View Post
    Let me second that. The $100 refurb unit at Epson was just the ticket for my needs. I bought one and couldn't be happer with it. And it does a swell job on Kodachrome, too. (And to show you how attached to it I am, I don't even remember the model number, so I can't tell you which one it is.)

Yes, it is a flatbed, but has a light in the lid for transmission scanning of film. It is *NOT* reflective film scanning. And yes, the 4490 is the one I have. And yes, it does a plenty good enough job for a web site. I usually send my neices and nephews pics at 4096x3072, which is 16 times 1024x768. It will do higher, but I can't email them, and more is totally worthless on a cell phone anyway. (Even that much is totally worthless on a cell phone, but I keep hoping they'll care.) As I said, I certainly don't think it's a professional solution. Think of it as like buying tools from Sears instead of a Snap-On truck.

I find the Kodachrome scans perfectly adequate. I think, although I don't really know, that this is because the OEM supplied scanning software doesn't have all the bells and whistles that get confused by Kodachrome. It just takes the image for you and plops in a jpg file.

I know you can buy other 'pro' software from third parties that work with it, but I never did this. My real interest is in the wet darkroom, and this was just an affordable way to get things 'electronic' for other family members who want it that way.

MB
    Michael Batchelor
    Industrial Informatics, Inc.
    www.industrialinformatics.com

The camera catches light. The photographer catches life.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    slides are back!! I sent them on a Friday and they arrived in two weeks, this was with the CD. Most of the scans from the CD I like, some other scans when light was low and setting were different didn't scan so well. I have to say that I was really impress by looking at the slides against a window, the colors are just amazing. See a sample in my profile.
    "Art is a lie that enables us to tell the truth" -Picasso
    http://www.jaimebermudez.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I'm glad you like them!
    Helping to save analog photography one exposure at a time

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin