Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,911   Posts: 1,584,690   Online: 732

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Shooter
    Medium Format
    There's a lot of misinformation and speculation on here, so let me put forth a definitive answer:

5285, WITH THE EXCEPTION OF SLIGHTLY DIFFERENT PERF. SIZES THAT WORK PERFECTLY FINE ON ALMOST ALL 35MM SLRS, IS PHYSICALLY IDENTICAL TO E100VS; IT DOES NOT HAVE, NOR WILL IT EVER HAVE, ANY SORT OF REM-JET BACKING.

I hope that answers everyone's questions. Shoot away if you can get a roll for 75¢ U.S.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Fredrik Sandstrom View Post
    No no no! Process VNF-1 is abandoned by
    Note that Kodak do reuse the film stock numbers. There might have been an earlier 5285 that was VNF-1, but the current product is definitely E6.
    No. 5285 was always E6. It is identical to E100VS.

5240, -39, -50, -51, and -399 were the VNF-1 process films.

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Quote Originally Posted by Emulsion View Post
    Suppliers of 35mm Short Ends and Recans.

USA:
    Film Emporium
    http://www.tapesuperstore.com/kodak35mmfilm2.html

Raw-Stock
    http://www.raw-stock.com/recans.html

Film Source LA
    http://www.releasing.net/rawstock/

Hi All,

This thread helped in my search for cheap color bulk film and so I thought I'd share what I've found.

I tried to order 100' of 5285 from film emporium, but they were out and put me on a list to be notified when they receive some more.

I contacted filmsourcela.com by email and they said they would check to see if they had any and get back to me. They didn't mail me back.

I wasn't very hopeful when I emailed www.releasing.net and asked if they could send me 100' rolls of 5285. I received a response from Vic and he replied that he would check to see if he could find any. He mailed back the next day to inform me that he could get some. Great. But since he deals in very long lengths of film (in relation to still photography lengths), he agreed to wind the stock into 100' lengths on 1" cores if I bought 400' at a time. He charges $0.50 per foot, which is alot more than the $.015/foot that is quoted at film emporium, but it is still less than half the price of the 100' rolls of Ektachrome at b&h/adorama.

This fit nicely into my bulk loader after I placed an old core from a "real" 100' bulk roll into the center of the cine core, the center of which measures about 1".

Vic said that he could also get 5222 and 7239 (160T reversal), but I didn't get a quote.

It took about 15 emails to get across what I was trying to do - I think mine was the first request for 100' lengths he's ever received, so he was a little confused at first. So if you give this a try, feel free to mention my name (David) so he knows what you're after.

5285 develops in E6 chemistry. The attached example is from the first test roll, self processed.

Hope this is helpful!

Dave
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2009_07_01_Cine5285_Normal_004.jpg  

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    You can get cheap ECN-2 from Dale Lab (www.dalelabs.com). They sell Dale brand film that is ECN-2.
    Helping to save analog photography one exposure at a time

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Remember that ECN films are low contrast and generally don't print well with normal color print materials.

PE

Shooter
    35mm
    Just to clarify a few points (I play with movie film a bit)

1) Movie film numbers starting with 5 are 35mm, starting with 7 are 16mm.
    2) Movie film is generally supplied on a 2 inch core. As someone said, sticking a saved 1 inch core will make an adaptor for your bulk loader. The last roll of Fomapan 100 bulk film I got from Freestyle was on a 2 inch core.
    3) 100ft lenghts are often put on what is called an S-83 spool. it holds 100ft and had a 1/4 inch square hole, and should fit most bulk loaders, this is sometimes called "the eyemo spool" as it does fit the B&H Eyemo hand held 35mm camera. The eyemo is tough enough to survive a few crashes!
    4) any of the colour negative Movie films will have the REM-JET back, and are made for Process ECN-2
    5) 5222 and 5231 are B&W films.
    6) the ektachrome 100D should be process E-6. The video news film was mostly made in 16mm, but the VNF process is no longer suported.
    7) it has been a long time since Dale Labs sold Movie film, but I understand they still will process it, on a once weekly special order basis.
    8) Movie camera film has B&H perforations as opposed to the KS perforations found on still film, and movie print film. This should not cause any problems with most still cameras. the difference is the B&H perfs have rounded ends.
    have fun

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Check out european ebay for Ektachrome 100D (5285), ending on Sunday.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Different perf sizes ( Cine ) on polyester based films, through film camera's....I don't think so......

Simon ILFORD Photo / HARMAN technology Limited :

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Simon R Galley View Post
    Different perf sizes ( Cine ) on polyester based films, through film camera's....I don't think so......

Simon ILFORD Photo / HARMAN technology Limited :
    I agree, my camera is worth more than that to me. I'd prefer to take my chances with the expired stuff being sold on Ebay.

Shooter
    35mm
    Edit: I see you are talking about polyester based, maybe an issue with autowind then?

The perf size difference is only shape, instead of square:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	35mm_sprockets.png 
Views:	14 
Size:	104.8 KB 
ID:	92818

I suppose it could be an issue if running at full tilt through a Nikon F3H at 13 FPS, but having run rolls of the BH sprocket stuff through a regular F3, N80, FE, no problems at all.
    However, are bottom loaded rangefinders (expensive) a problem? I cant load them correctly with any film.
    Last edited by trythis; 08-15-2014 at 11:48 AM. Click to view previous post history.
    "If its not broken, I can't afford it."

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin