Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,222   Posts: 1,532,364   Online: 1101

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Ektar 400?

Shooter
    35mm

Ektar 400?

Doesn't it seem like Kodak could apply the technology behind Ektar 100 to a faster film, kind of like how we have TMX and TMY?

Has anyone tried pushing Ektar 100 or simply underexposing it a couple stops?

What do you use it for; is it suitable for portraits; how much finer grain is it than say, Portra 160?
    f/22 and be there.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    That is why I am still keeping my stash of Kodak UC 400 120 and 135 from the hoarders. I am waiting for Ektar 400 as fast as I can.

Steve
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Ektar 400 would be an entirely feasible product if there was a proven market. It would take about 1 - 5 years of R&D depending on the people available and the projects in development. Of course, the ROI would have to support the R&D effort.

It would take at least 1 - 2 new emulsions / layer and the existing couplers could probably be used. The system would have to be rebalanced.

PE

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Or Kodak could bring back UC 400 in 120.

Steve

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I tried pushing some Ektar100 two stops--and it looks simply ridiculous. I felt that the contrast and saturation just got a little out of hand. I could see it looking acceptable perhaps under certain low contrast lighting conditions, but I, myself, will probably never do it again. I'll post some examples here if I can find the negatives.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I underexposed Ektar by 2 stops and got OK results:
    http://photo-utopia.blogspot.com/200...ektar-100.html

I used to use Portra 400 UC until it was discontinued. I switched to 400 NC, not VC, and was amazed at the results. Maybe we have really good alternatives until 400 Ektar comes along...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    As I said I have a freezer full of UC 400 to use when I want the color saturation. When I have exhausted that there are other films that I could use now or even better ones in the future from our yellow box and green box friends.

Steve

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I'd prefer they used the new technology to come out with a new Ektar 25...
    Grand Teton National Park, Kodak Ektar 25, 120 format, expired 1992, shot May, 2009.

Linky to 1000pixel version

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I guess the future Ektar films will depend on how well the existing range sell, and if Kodak think It's worth their while spending the money on the R&D on extending the available range.
    Last edited by benjiboy; 06-14-2009 at 05:38 AM. Click to view previous post history.
    Ben

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin