Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,942   Posts: 1,557,582   Online: 1178

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: C41 Chemistry

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Welcome mts.

I am in dept to those who have made the effort to develop alternative C41 recipes. I know Rayco have acknowledged the work of a group called "the Colour Reversal Club" for some of their recipes, but I cannot assume that these recipes are in the public domain.

I'm glad to see that hand processing works as an alternative to a Jobo. I got the CPE when I bought a whole darkroom kit, and have used it ever since. If it went wrong now, I would be able to find a cheap replacement, but what of the future ?

I think the key point here is that home processing is indeed viable and not difficult. Perhaps the best advice is to pick a technique and stick at it - success will come...

mts
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    [quote="AllanD"]I am in dept to those who have made the effort to develop alternative C41 recipes. I know Rayco have acknowledged the work of a group called "the Colour Reversal Club" for some of their recipes, but I cannot assume that these recipes are in the public domain.

To the contrary, the C41 and E-6 official formulae are published and are not proprietary in any way. However, the formulations sold in various kits may be copyrighted, more likely trademarked, and therefore not available publicly. After reading many different versions and learning something about the chemistry of these processes, I experimented with and settled on basic chemistry for E-6, C-41, EP-2, and RA-4. There has been much discussion in past years, in the Darkroom & Photo Techniques magazine.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Everything that mts says is essentially the same for me. I too started out using the Dignan published formulas first with C-22 and then with C-41. The use of a water bath makes the C-41 process doable at 41C.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by AllanD
    Sorry, but the web-site doesn't have the recipe; they have a book that contains the recipe ! I'm not sure what the legal implications are if I put it out on this forum.

I measure temperature using a digital thermometer, which I've compared to my Jobo "high resolution" mercury thermometer. Both point to the my CPE being about right on the temperature setting. However, I think the best plan is to measure the temperature of the developer directly, rather than rely on a thermostat.

I rather glad that digital has caused the price of these processors to crash. I would hate to have paid full price for one. Has your sprung a leak yet. Mines held together with silicon sealant !

Thanks for the welcome
    Rayco folded as a company some time ago. When I saw the above website address I thought I recognised it as the old one but tried it anyway thinking it may have been reformed but got nowhere.

My assumption is that it must have been some time ago that you last used Rayco. There were rumours it was bought and set up again but not in its original location which was I think Barnsley in Yorkshire.

I hope you will be able to say that Rayco can still be reached and you have used the new Rayco recently.

If you did use the old Rayco, can anyone cast light on whether it has started up again and confirm they have used it?

Thanks

Pentaxuser

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin