Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,867   Posts: 1,583,210   Online: 887

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    Medium Format

Cheap Color and B&W Film

I will be leaving for a trip to Japan in about 2 weeks, and I need film!

Could someone point me to a place that sells cheap film besides ultrafine and ebay in the United States? Tri-x, Fujicolor Pro, Kodak Portra, Superia......ect.

Expired and cold stored film is ok for what I'm doing.

Thanks

Shooter
    35mm
    Freestylephoto sells Tri-X for $2.19/roll under their Arista Premium brand.

Around here you can buy Superia 200 for right around a buck a roll at walmart.
    f/22 and be there.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    If you’re located or will visit Montreal, PM me please. I have about 30 rolls in total, of Konica VX-100 (low contrast) & VX-200 (high contrast), all negatives in 35mm size and 24 or 24+3 frames per roll. They expired in 2006 (VX-100) and in 2008 (VX-200), but I kept them in the freezer since before the expiring date. Make me an offer if you’re interested in, but don’t ask me to mail them: pick-up only. I’m selling them because I only do B&W now.
    B&W is silver.

Shooter
    35mm
    The question however is if you really need to buy film when going to Japan - the place where the best films actually come from. If I were you I'd rather browse the web for the local photographic shops or try to ask for a tip here. Then I'd probably buy a couple of rolls just to get by till landing. My understanding is that Fuji is anyway cheaper in Japan than when it's exported to somewhere else.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    $2 a roll for fresh Superia 100, 200 and 400 at adorama and B&H (grey market but in date). I've shot tons of it and had good luck.

I like the idea of buying it in Japan though. Saves you an x-ray pass. Just take a handful of rolls with you to buy you a day or two.
    Jim MacKenzie - Regina, Saskatchewan, Canada

A bunch of Nikons; Feds, Zorkis and a Kiev; Pentax 67-II (inherited from my deceased father-in-law); Bronica SQ-A; and a nice Shen Hao 4x5 field camera with 3 decent lenses that needs to be taken outside more. Oh, and as of mid-2012, one of those bodies we don't talk about here.

Favourite film: do I need to pick only one?

Shooter
    35mm
    I was there three weeks ago and and was so sorry because I didn't take my film camera with me. You can fimd a lot of interesting and cheap films there.

Miha

Shooter
    Medium Format
    The cost of film is a tiny fraction of the total price of your trip.
    Why would you try to save $20-30?
    Get the most expensive film or the film you like. To recover the difference just don't do to starbucks in the airport.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    BJ's sells Kodak Gold in 10 packs for $13 I believe.
    Helping to save analog photography one exposure at a time

Shooter
    35mm
    In Japan, you might wanna check Yodobashi Camera and Bic Camera stores.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    For the Tri-X, I'd go for Arista Premium 400 for $2.19 per roll for 36 exp. At that price for new film, expired Tri-X is hardly worth it. This is especially true with faster films that do not keep as well as slower ones.

For color, Fuji Superia Press is my recommendation. I am particularly partial to the X-Tra 800 at $3 a roll for 36 exp.

Sometimes you can get the amateur version of Superia in 24 exp. rolls at places like Wal-Mart for very good prices. It is the same film as the Press, which is a professional film, but has a slightly different color balance to offset the effects of the relatively slow use and unrefrigerated storage that is expected of "consumers". Like I said, same film, though.

This is assuming 35mm, of course.
    Last edited by 2F/2F; 06-20-2009 at 05:01 AM. Click to view previous post history.
    2F/2F

"Truth and love are my law and worship. Form and conscience are my manifestation and guide. Nature and peace are my shelter and companions. Order is my attitude. Beauty and perfection are my attack."

- Rob Tyner (1944 - 1991)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin