Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,677   Posts: 1,482,019   Online: 862

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images

E6 in a Unidrum/Beseler drum?

Is this even possible? I've been looking into this for a while now. The only color processing I have done before is 35mm and MF C-41. I want to be able to do my own E6 at home with the smallest Arista kit, as the drum takes very chemicals, and looks to be the most economic option. However, I do not own any temperature regulating equipment (my C-41 was done at a friend's house).

In short, what would I need to do E6 in a drum (if possible), and what is the bare minimal of temperature regulation equipment I need to get away with it (with good results).

I have read about some people doing E6 with really ghetto setups, so I'm sure that this is more than possible.
    www.EASmithV.com

"The camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera."— Dorothea Lange
    http://www.flickr.com/easmithv/
    RIP Kodachrome

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Film or print drum?

You need something to heat up the chemicals. This can be little more then the hot water tap on the sink. It can be an aquarium fish heater.

I think you'll find the plastic drums don't cool down too quickly if you preheat them.

Do you have the drums? If not I'd lean towards the Jobo drums. They use very little chemicals. Plus if you find a deal on a processor you can stick to the same tanks and reel.

BTW check what the kit needs per roll of film. It does you no good if the tank needs 100ml but the kit needs 200ml

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    If you can do C41 then you can do E6 it's no more difficult just a few more steps, I used the excellent 3 bath Photocolor kit for many years but unfortunately it's no longer manufactured. Regardless of the kit the only really critical step (time/temperature) is the first development as the rest are essentially to completion.

Ian

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Nick Zentena View Post
    Film or print drum?

You need something to heat up the chemicals. This can be little more then the hot water tap on the sink. It can be an aquarium fish heater.

I think you'll find the plastic drums don't cool down too quickly if you preheat them.

Do you have the drums? If not I'd lean towards the Jobo drums. They use very little chemicals. Plus if you find a deal on a processor you can stick to the same tanks and reel.

BTW check what the kit needs per roll of film. It does you no good if the tank needs 100ml but the kit needs 200ml
    I guess I forgot to mention, I'm attempting 4x5 chromes. Yes, I have the drum. I use it for BW regularly and it is splendid, but I have never developed C-41 in a drum like this.
    www.EASmithV.com

"The camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera."— Dorothea Lange
    http://www.flickr.com/easmithv/
    RIP Kodachrome

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

I've done it....

but many years ago. I used the drum, but didn't use the roller base, so that I could hand roll it back and forth in a tray partially filled with water at proper temperature. All of the chemistry was also pre-tempered in a separate tray of water at the correct temp.

I only ran two drums (8) exposures at that time. As a one-shot deal it's pricey and somewhat inconvenient, as the wet film should be taken from the drum for a seecond expusure during processing. I guess there is a chemical step that can be optionally used instead of re-exposure to light now.

Jo

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin