Switch to English Language Passer en langue franaise Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,523   Posts: 1,572,262   Online: 786

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm RF
    You can also buy the Fuji Hunt chemistry from "Nordphotoversand" in Germany, they sell it under the Jobo brand (give them a call to make sure you get the right version for you) Shipping should be cheaper and you can pay in Euros :-)

Shooter
    35mm
    Jscha, I know Nordfoto and once bought film from them. But their website says for international orders minimum order value is 250 Euros. Don't know, maybe this is negiotiable. But right now ordering from the UK might even be cheaper because of the EUR-GBP exchanger rate. At Firstcall the Fuji 5 litre kit is 31.99 GBP (= 37.80 EUR), at Nordfoto the price for the Jobo kit is 51,71 EUR. I think Jobo make two different kits, one with BLIX and one with seperate bleach and fix (these products are not listed on the Jobo website but there is an entry in the FAQs).

Edit: Just noticed the Jobo 5 litre kit has seperate bleach and fix, their other (BLIX) kit is to make 15 litres.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    I read that too, but had never problems ordering from them (shipping to the Netherlands) for less than 250 Euro (you pay the actual shipping costs). My recommondation is to give them a call, they are pretty good in dealing with special orders (Thomas Sievert is the guy to talk to), for example the spare rollers for my pola-mags came from them ;-) My expirience with the GBP to Euro conversion is that it only pays off for big ticket items, for small stuff shipping/fees eats the advantage.....

Shooter
    35mm
    1ml syringes with 0.1 graduations can be had on ebay at around 2 for a pack of ten.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Arthur Fleischmann View Post
    Jscha, I know Nordfoto and once bought film from them. But their website says for international orders minimum order value is 250 Euros. Don't know, maybe this is negiotiable.
    I also order stuff from Nordfoto (awaiting some film from them right now), and never reached the 250 Euros minimum order value nor had them make a thing out of it.
    So if they have something good or a good price, just give them a try.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by perkeleellinen View Post
    1ml syringes with 0.1 graduations can be had on ebay at around 2 for a pack of ten.
    Even if the kit says +/-0.1mL (0.0034U.S.fl. oz./0.00352 Imp. fl. oz.), the notion that your mixing has to be that accurate is ridiculous.

There is no way the companies themselves are that accurate. I have it on good authority that some concentrates are still mixed by hand!

+/-10ml or 3/8 fl. oz. is more than enough accuracy, especially with a 5L kit.

That is why the bigger kit sizes are better: Although there is more to use, there is more room for "slop" in your measuring abilities.

Even with a 1-L or a 1-Qt. kit though, that level of precision is totally a compulsive fancy of some over-bored box instruction writer, or maybe a delusion planted in someone's head by Eastman Kodak company C-41 propaganda.

The actual C-41 process is quite flexible and produces results that are quite usable even with a processing time or temperature variable of 3-1/2F/1.9C.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by perkeleellinen
    Even if the kit says +/-0.1mL (0.0034U.S.fl. oz./0.00352 Imp. fl. oz.), the notion that your mixing has to be that accurate is ridiculous.

There is no way the companies themselves are that accurate. I have it on good authority that some concentrates are still mixed by hand!

That is why the bigger kit sizes are better: Although there is more to use, there is more room for "slop" in your measuring abilities.

Even with a 1-L or a 1-Qt. kit though, that level of precision is totally a compulsive fancy of some over-bored box instruction writer, or maybe a delusion planted in someone's head by Eastman Kodak company C-41 propaganda.

The actual C-41 process is quite flexible and produces results that are quite usable even with a processing time or temperature variable of 3-1/2F/1.9C.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Arthur Fleischmann View Post
    Hello,

I recently bought a used Jobo CPE2 processor and now want to start developing C41 film with it. I did some research here on APUG regarding C41 chemistry choices. It seems many people use Tetenal, but others stay away from it because of the blix and recommend seperate bleach and fix stages.

The 1 litre Tetenal kit is readily available at local stores here in Vienna but no alternative products. However I found a C41 kit by Fuji Hunt offered at Firstcall Photographic in the UK where I could order online. The Fuji C41 kit seems to have seperate bleach and fix and is even cheaper than the Tetenal kit! Cheaper, seperate bleach and fix - any disadvantages that I don't see?

I searched the net for a more detailed description of the Fuji kit but didn't find much, not even on Fuji Hunt's official website. Is anyone here using this kit and can tell me more about it?

- Do you have to mix the whole 5 litres at once or is it possible to mix smaller quantities?
    - How often do you have to re-use the chemicals to be able to develop 60-80 films?
    - How long can the concentrates and working solutions be stored?

Thanks for your help!
    You can also buy Ornano chemistry directly from the factory (freshest chemistry) which is, I feel, way too underrated. Nobody seems to know about them but it's a shame 'cause they make some of the finest chemistry on the market today.

Try it if you can.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by CTPhotography
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by perkeleellinen

I agree 0.1 ml accuracy can probably not be achieved in real life. Even when using syringes with 0.1 ml graduations I'm afraid my measuring jars are just not that accurate.

You're sure right the bigger kits are better, but the problem is I don't need 5 litres of chemistry at once. I'll have to divide up the concentrates to make 1 litre at the most at a time. And this means (in case of the Fuji kit) quantities of 903 ml water + 70 ml + 9 ml + 18 ml of developer parts. While I have no experience in this I wonder if an error of +/- 10 ml might not be too much? I think ease of mixing might really be the advantage of the Tetenal kit.

Thanks all for your help, maybe I'll ask at Nordfoto how much they charge for shipping and compare to ordering from the UK. Is the Jobo kit Nordfoto sells exactly the same as the Fuji?
    Last edited by Arthur Fleischmann; 06-21-2009 at 06:45 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Arthur,

If you do some searching on APUG about C-41 processing in general you will find some information suggesting advantages in terms of image quality using FUJIHUNT or Kodak kits compared to other third party brands. C-41 is a proprietary process.

Tom.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive     Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin