Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,860   Posts: 1,583,155   Online: 796

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Opened camera back before rewind - can the film be saved?

Just learned a valuable lesson with my Nikon F5 - ensure the custom function is set to auto rewind when the end of the film is reached! I just opened the back of mine for like half a second forgetting that the film hadn't been rewound!

My question is, is there any point sending it off for development now? I opened the back indoors at about 18:00 this evening. There was no sunlight in the room, but it was daylight lit. Will the whole film be screwed or might it only be the last couple of frames? The film is Fujifilm Astia 100F, 35mm.

Ted
    Ted Smith Photography
    Hasselblad 501CM...my 2nd love.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Some will be ruined - almost certainly it won't be completely fogged. Frames closer to the beginning will likely be spared; the only way to really know is process it. Chalk it up to 'lessons learned'...it's happened to plenty of people.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    If you closed the back quickly and cursed appropriately, most of the film which has covered itself on wind spool should be o.k.
    John, Mount Vernon, Virginia USA

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I might try getting it developed then, thanks.

Kind of off topic now, but as far as I can tell, the Nikon F5 does not have a custom function for automatically rewinding when the end of the film is reached. Do any of you know otherwise? If so, how?

Thanks

Ted
    Ted Smith Photography
    Hasselblad 501CM...my 2nd love.

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Ted, the F5 has to have a custom setting for auto rewind. Find a manual online and look at the custom settings charts.

ann

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    as others have suggested you will lose some, but if lucky not all.

i had one of my teenagers do that very thing on tues. i was really worried he lost the whole roll; however, the strip that is exposed from one side to the other was gone. which was expected, and a few images on the take up reel had some that where find and a cuple thqt had banding, but enough to make it worth while to print.
    http://www.aclancyphotography.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Ted - you might be suprised how few you loose - I have done this on a number of occasions with only minor casualties (say 5 frames)

Matt

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    have been there as well- 3, 5 frames tops are gone, rest should be good, as if nothing has ever happened...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Finish the roll and get it processed. You will only loose a few photos.

Steve
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Shooter
    35mm
    Definitely have it processed....unprocessed film is quite opaque, so only the top one or two layers may be affected. I can remember my Dad loading his standard-8 amateur movie camera in daylight, where only the outer layers of film protected the rest of the 25 ft spool from fogging.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin