Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,299   Posts: 1,535,778   Online: 730
      
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 11 to 20 of 20
  1. #11

    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    San Clemente, California
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    1,078
    Quote Originally Posted by AgX View Post
    What is the problem with some cycle in temperature?
    Repeated transitions through the glass temperature:

    http://www.wilhelm-research.com/subz...emp_and_RH.pdf

  2. #12

    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Netherlands
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Posts
    5,686
    The important bit from the conclusions reads as follows:
    "The frequency and magnitude of the changes within this region* do not contribute to any physical damage".

    No chemical damage either. And film lasts longer when frozen.

    So no worries.


    * -25 degrees C to + 25 degrees C

  3. #13

    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    San Clemente, California
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    1,078
    Quote Originally Posted by Q.G. View Post
    The important bit from the conclusions reads as follows:
    "The frequency and magnitude of the changes within this region* do not contribute to any physical damage".

    No chemical damage either. And film lasts longer when frozen.

    So no worries.


    * -25 degrees C to + 25 degrees C
    The region referenced in that excerpt from the "Summary and conclusions" section can be found in Figure 1. It's an area defined by temperature and relative humidity (RH) limits, not a simple temperature range. The question which lead me to post a link to that writeup concerned cycling temperatures in frost-free freezers. Rather large RH excursions will occur in such an environment, exact extent of which depending on how film is packaged. I'd strongly suggest reading and evaluating the complete work.

  4. #14

    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Netherlands
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Posts
    5,686
    I have.
    There is nothing special about the relative humidity range.

    There is also no problem with ferquent freezing and thawing.

    The only things to worry about (well...) is getting the film wet with condensation, tearing or breaking the film (depending on temperature) by exerting too much force, and getting it too hot and make the emulsion go soft.
    Nothing special there either.

    Oh, and keeping the film too warm, and allow it too age too fast.
    Also nothing special, not new.

    The conclusion re freeze-thaw cycles stands: no damage. No problem.

    Please quote where you think a different conclusion is expressed.

  5. #15

    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    San Clemente, California
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    1,078
    Quote Originally Posted by Q.G. View Post
    I have.
    There is nothing special about the relative humidity range.

    There is also no problem with ferquent freezing and thawing.

    The only things to worry about (well...) is getting the film wet with condensation, tearing or breaking the film (depending on temperature) by exerting too much force, and getting it too hot and make the emulsion go soft.
    Nothing special there either.

    Oh, and keeping the film too warm, and allow it too age too fast.
    Also nothing special, not new.

    The conclusion re freeze-thaw cycles stands: no damage. No problem.

    Please quote where you think a different conclusion is expressed.
    I linked to a 15-page paper on the subject written by someone at the Smithsonian Institution. I pointed out that, depending on packaging, film could undergo excursions outside the region described by Figure 1 of that paper, despite your erroneous reference to a range of temperatures only. You seek a simple conclusion that's universally applicable when one doesn't exist. The data are in that paper for anyone to see.

    Methinks Tim gave good advice in this post:

    http://www.apug.org/forums/820248-post536.html

  6. #16

    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    137
    i have had a lot of great luck with old old films.
    orwo films with use by 1979 dates...kodachrome 25 16mm use by date 1992 damp with fungus growing on it.
    footage was used on a BBC history show.
    that film you have is a nice stock used by fashion photographers in the late 80s and 90s.
    i really believe it is a sin to dump any film stock.
    stick it on ebay many many people love using old stuff whether it is stored in bad conditions or perfect.
    find a lovely looking girl and shoot it..
    or send me a pm and i will swap you for some nice shiny new film.

  7. #17

    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Netherlands
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Posts
    5,686
    Quote Originally Posted by Sal Santamaura View Post
    I linked to a 15-page paper on the subject written by someone at the Smithsonian Institution. I pointed out that, depending on packaging, film could undergo excursions outside the region described by Figure 1 of that paper, despite your erroneous reference to a range of temperatures only. You seek a simple conclusion that's universally applicable when one doesn't exist. The data are in that paper for anyone to see.
    So give us that quote that says that there is a problem with freeze-thaw cycles!

    The paper says no such thing. You replied to AgX that there is a problem with repeatedly going through the glass temperature. That is about heating the film up too much, not about freezing and thawing (unless you would thaw frozen film in a hot oven ).

  8. #18

    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    San Clemente, California
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    1,078
    Quote Originally Posted by Sal Santamaura View Post
    ...Methinks Tim gave good advice in this post:

    http://www.apug.org/forums/820248-post536.html
    Thanks for the advice Tim. "Patient" is a word commonly used by those describing me. Even I have limits. Advice taken. This is the first "Ignore user" action I've taken on this or any other forum in a dozen years of participation. Enough said.

  9. #19

    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Netherlands
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Posts
    5,686
    Seems to be the flavour of the day.

    But truly, the article does not suggest there is a problem!

  10. #20

    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Posts
    309
    Quote Originally Posted by Q.G. View Post
    Seems to be the flavour of the day.

    But truly, the article does not suggest there is a problem!
    Well, I can think of a problem. You may want to ask the lab that process your film to use old Kodak Stabilizer instead of new Final Rinse to rinse your film at the last step before drying in processing your film. If not stabilized with the right stabilizer the colors may shift in a few months.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12


 

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:



Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin