Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,212   Posts: 1,532,069   Online: 1214

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    Medium Format

Deep Frozen Film

Need some advice on some film which has been in deep freeze for some time. Kodak Vericolour HC Pro best before 05/1995. Yep 1995, if a film has been kept frozen can it still be used this far beyond its best before date?

What is the longevity of film, any film, if it’s been kept frozen for this amount of time? Can it still be used or will it give me weird results?

Thanks for your help

David

mts
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    You have to try it to see. I have several pictures in the gallery taken on long-expired Fuji Super-G+ 100, and also Portra 160NC that are just fine. If the film was truely frozen and not temperature cycled (as happens in a self-defrosting freezer) it is probably ok.
    By denying the facts, any paradox can be sustained--Galileo

Shooter
    35mm
    I've used Kodachrome that expired in the 80s and 90s and was refrigerated or frozen, and got decent results. 20+ years would leave me worried more about solar radiation, heh.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I think it should be perfectly fine.
    Helping to save analog photography one exposure at a time

Shooter
    Medium Format
    A big thank you to everyone who has helped on this, it's been sitting in the back of the freezer with me saying "I'll use that soon...." "Must use that" "Hmm must use that one day"...... I think i should get it out, use it, process it and not really worry about it been past its best before. It's 120 format been kept inside the wrappers inside its box and inside a plastic bag, the plastic bag had ice on it but everything else was fine, cold, but fine.

So, basically what everyone is saying is use it it should be ok.

Thanks everyone for your advice and guidence.

David

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    David -

I agree with the belief that frozen film should be OK.

Many years ago I heard a presentation by a technical representative from Polaroid who said that their experiments showed that experiments confirmed that belief, BUT they also found that after frozen film is allowed to thaw, it ages much more rapidly than unfrozen film. That is, for example, if film is frozen at a point one year ahead of its marked 'use by' date, that film will in not have one year of useful life left after it is thawed. He said that Polaroid had not pursued this enough to develop a hypothesis to explain why this happens, or what the actual useful life of frozen film is, but his recommendation was that after frozen film is thawed, it should be used as quickly as possible.
    Louie

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Louie
    So once it's out of the freezer use it and process it in as short as time as is possible. I'm about to order some Fuji Hunt C41 X-Press so processing shouldn't be a problem it could be processed within a few hours of been shot. I'm also drooling.. I mean wondering about trying the new Ektar film as well, both rated at 100 ISO so it could be a good play.. I mean test

Thanks all

David

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    It may depend on the film. I've thrown out HP5, really outdated, and froze from the time I bought it while Tri-X sitting right next to it was still good. Same film speed and within months of the same expiration date.

Go figure.

Mike

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I have several boxes of Tmax 100 and 400 in 4X5 with an expiry date of 1995 that have been frozen. I see no difference from fresh film.
    Rick Jason.
    "I'm still developing"

AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by mts View Post
    If the film was truely frozen and not temperature cycled (as happens in a self-defrosting freezer) it is probably ok.

What is the problem with some cycle in temperature?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin