Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,814   Posts: 1,581,608   Online: 806

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    The thing I really like about Ektar100 is the range and contrast and of course the vibrant colors. It is easy to work with and even the quickie labs can process it.
    When I shoot it in my little "studio" I need a filter of some sort to correct the "white balance" so to speak. I set my digital to 3000 deg. and it works perfect. what suggestion could someone make for a color filter to use with Ektar100?
    Shooting Ektar outside is a piece of cake.
    "Generalizations are made because they are generally true"
    Flicker http://www.flickr.com/photos/stradibarrius
    Barry
    Monroe, GA

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Again, back to the original question, I've used both and so far the advantages I can discern are:

Grain
    Ektar 100 (especially in 120) is perfectly grain free, whereas there is a touch of grain left with 160VC. AFAIK, Portra 160 films have not been optimized for scanning the way Portra 400 have been. In 120, I would skip Portra 160 altogether, and would go for either Ektar 100 for saturation or 400NC for portraits. Even in 35mm, I would stick to Portra 400NC for portraits.

PORTRA

EKTAR

Price
    At least in Canada, Ektar 100 is nearly half the price of Portra films, and half the price of Ektachrome 100VS.

Colours
    While E100VS is more fun to look at, it does not scan as nicely as Ektar. Between Portra 160VC and E100VS, the latter is a bit warmer, so it has some impact on the blues. Concerning Ektar 100: well, I don't have a shot taken in the same setting at the other two, but at any rate it seems rather neutral.

PORTRA

E100VS

Overall, for scan or print, for now I would go with Ektar 100. I do like the look of E100VS, and it's gorgeous to look at, but for now I can only dream of projecting it.

A note on the shots: the Portra 160 were taken around 5AM-6AM, so obviously the light was awesome, a touch golden, the setting gorgeous (Île d'Orléans, near Québec city) whereas the Ektar 100 shots were taken around noon in an alley in Montréal... Camera was a Mamiya C330, using either the 55mm, the 105mm DS, or the 180mm Super.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails E100VS.jpg   Portra160VC.jpg   Ektar(detail).jpg   Portra160VC(full).jpg   Portra160VC(detail).jpg  

Ektar.jpg  
    Last edited by Michel Hardy-Vallée; 06-22-2009 at 09:43 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    Using film since before it was hip.

"One of the most singular characters of the hyposulphites, is the property their solutions possess of dissolving muriate of silver and retaining it in considerable quantity in permanent solution" — Sir John Frederick William Herschel, "On the Hyposulphurous Acid and its Compounds." The Edinburgh Philosophical Journal, Vol. 1 (8 Jan. 1819): 8-29. p. 11

My APUG Portfolio

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by stradibarrius View Post
    The thing I really like about Ektar100 is the range and contrast and of course the vibrant colors. It is easy to work with and even the quickie labs can process it.
    When I shoot it in my little "studio" I need a filter of some sort to correct the "white balance" so to speak. I set my digital to 3000 deg. and it works perfect. what suggestion could someone make for a color filter to use with Ektar100?
    Shooting Ektar outside is a piece of cake.
    Try an 80A or a KB20 filter. These are for shooting daylight film under lower wattage tungsten lamps. An 80B is a bit weaker, but might get you there as well.

Lee

Shooter
    Large Format
    I have a couple questions for folks who have printed digitally with both Ektar and the Portra films:

1) According to Kodak, Ektar theoretically has less exposure latitude than the Portras (-1 to +2 stops, versus -2 to +3). How noticeable is this difference in real world situations when scanning?

2) I've always been told by digital labs (in the pre-Ektar era) that color saturation differences among color negative films make little difference when digitally printing, as the digital printmaker ultimately adjusts color to taste anyway, and any minor saturation differences between emulsions gets lost in the shuffle. Is this also true with Ektar, or does the additional saturation make a difference?

Thanks!

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Eric Leppanen View Post
    I have a couple questions for folks who have printed digitally with both Ektar and the Portra films:

1) According to Kodak, Ektar theoretically has less exposure latitude than the Portras (-1 to +2 stops, versus -2 to +3). How noticeable is this difference in real world situations when scanning?
    It's a little noticable. Ektar is a bit higher contrast and it does show in a loss of shadow detail vs Portra.

2) I've always been told by digital labs (in the pre-Ektar era) that color saturation differences among color negative films make little difference when digitally printing, as the digital printmaker ultimately adjusts color to taste anyway, and any minor saturation differences between emulsions gets lost in the shuffle. Is this also true with Ektar, or does the additional saturation make a difference?

Thanks!
    Colour saturation differences are quite noticeable with colour negative film. You can compensate somewhat via post processing, but the differences are still there. IMHO, Ektar ends up looking a lot like E100VS if you can keep the sky's exposure down, it will go Cyan if the sky gets enough exposure to get rather light, but not quite blown.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin