Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,660   Posts: 1,481,566   Online: 884

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images

Expired Cine Kodachrome II advice.

Well, I was saving this for I don't know what, but with the recent infamous announcement, I might as well break into this. In the picture are the expiration dates of the 16mmm Kodachrome II reels, and the super 8 cartridge. Do you think these will work? What can I expect? Should I adjust my exposure?

www.EASmithV.com

"The camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera."— Dorothea Lange
    http://www.flickr.com/easmithv/
    RIP Kodachrome

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    IIRC that film is probably K-12 process and is not compatible with K-14.

PE

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Kodachrome II can't be processed for color results, as they require process K-12, not the current K-14. If you decide to shoot them, you can only get B&W results (negative or positive).

The one on top that says "KMA" should work, though. That's Kodachrome 40, process K-14.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Well, as I said before, Kodachrome is not Kodachrome. It has had a variety of processes and dye sets over the years giving different color renditions and different image stability to heat, light and humidity.

Best of luck.

BTW, one of the early workers who I shared an office with and who, I think, did some Kodachrome work years and years ago was E. A. Smith. Probably EASmithI.

PE

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Your film is not compatible with the current and only K14 process. It cannot be processed as color film. Your only option (and since you haven't exposed this film yet, probably not an option for you), would be to have this processed as a b/w negative. Since you haven't exposed it yet, you would get better b/w results shooting real b/w film in your 16mm camera.

I repeat, there is NO WAY to get color movies out of this film at this date and time.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Just out of curiosity, what would happen if this film were to be put through a k-14 process? Would the emulsion not be able to withstand the temperature?
    www.EASmithV.com

"The camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera."— Dorothea Lange
    RIP Kodachrome

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I don't remember if the final K-14 process included the prehardener as in the patent, or if they added the new hardener to the coating, so the result would vary. If the process had a prehardener, then you would get some sort of image, but I'm not sure what it would be like. If the prehardener is not there, and the emulsion is not hardened, then you will mess up Dwaynes process totally and you will get clear film. No image and no emulsion.

PE

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Photo Engineer View Post
    I don't remember if the final K-14 process included the prehardener as in the patent, or if they added the new hardener to the coating, so the result would vary. If the process had a prehardener, then you would get some sort of image, but I'm not sure what it would be like. If the prehardener is not there, and the emulsion is not hardened, then you will mess up Dwaynes process totally and you will get clear film. No image and no emulsion.

PE
    So you don't think it's worth shooting a roll and sending to Dwaynes? I don't want to screw up anybody's anything, but I really want to shoot it right.

*edit*

How badly screwed up is screwed up?
    www.EASmithV.com

RIP Kodachrome

Shooter
    35mm
    I'm sure Dwaynes would not think of putting K-12 through K-14...as has been pointed out many times, it's just not the same process. I'm sure that they wouldn't risk a the stripped emulsion wrecking their chemicals and everyone else's films...it would be a costly way of giving you a roll of blank leader.

Personally, I'd put the films on Ebay, see if anyone wants them as a collectors item.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by EASmithV View Post
    So you don't think it's worth shooting a roll and sending to Dwaynes? I don't want to screw up anybody's anything, but I really want to shoot it right.

*edit*

How badly screwed up is screwed up?
    I really don't know!

However, if the emulsion does come off, the process is "down for the count" and will need replacement of all affected solutions, probably the first few at least.

They surely have safeguards for this.

PE

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin