Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,587   Posts: 1,545,820   Online: 1114

Shooter
    35mm
    Images

R4-A printing at Labs

I shot some Ektar 25 yesterday and was looking for a lab which would print a couple of the photos I liked to 8X10 since scanning the film isn't very fantastic. To my surprise not a single lab in Queensland (Australia) does analogue enlarging these days so I am stumped. I have a B&W darkroom setup though...but its not like that well help.

Is this the norm for other labs around the world?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I know its not Queensland but try this guy:
    http://www.apug.org/forums/forum53/4...house-lab.html

Printing with an enlarger is rare for minlabs though some prolabs can do it.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    You may try Stephen Frizza who is a member of APUG and is located in Bondi, just down the road from you

I'm not sure if he does projection enlarging, but I think he does.

I do my own colour, and have done for the last 30 years, so I don't know what is happening out there.

By the way, how did the film go?

Mick.

Shooter
    35mm
    If you've got a B&W darkroom, you've got most of what you need to print color. I mention this because people often think that making color prints requires lots of exotic stuff, but it doesn't. Extra stuff you'll need would be color filters, color chemicals (RA-4 developer and blix), and of course color paper. You won't need the filters if you've got an enlarger with a color head. Some people add extra stuff, like print drums (but you can use trays), a color analyzer, etc.

That said, the learning curve for color is such that you'll waste a lot of time and paper if all you want is a couple of prints. If you think you might want to do more color prints in the future, though, you might look into doing it yourself.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Have you tried Prolab in South Brisbane? Not sure of the full extent of their traditional colour services, but just lifted the following from their website (www.prolab.com.au):

"Prolab produces superb quality prints directly from negative and transparency film. Using traditional custom enlargers reproduction quality colour and black & white prints are hand enlarged to customer specifications."

Ian
    p.s. I have no connection to the business

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Thanks for all the info, the roll was interesting. Shot most on a tripod and handheld at f1.4 1/30 heh. Highlights blow out easily due to the saturation. Also prolab does not do traditional printing, just scans.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin