Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,906   Posts: 1,521,418   Online: 1000

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm
    Now that I'm coming to terms with K-14 being nearly gone, I would certainly give a fair trial to an E-6 substitute which successfully replicated Kodachrome as near as humanly possible.

If it really were that good, I wouldn't object to them calling it "Kodachrome-E", or whatever they like....but I don't think it will happen.

And I can't see even Kodak being misguided enough to label anything digital with the brand "Kodachrome" (but anything is possible ).

Shooter
    Multi Format
    [QUOTE=And I can't see even Kodak being misguided enough to label anything digital with the brand "Kodachrome" (but anything is possible ).[/QUOTE]

Give them a few years, we Kodachrome users will age, our minds become less agile and they'll "resurface" the Kodachrome name on something not film. "We" won't remember or our comments will be taken as the babblings of those "living in the past" to whom no heed is paid.

Dave

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Maybe it'll be like car makes, where they take away a model for a few years to make the public miss it, and then mysteriously re-introduce it again a few years later and everyone shouts a faded cheer.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Do remember that Mannes and Godowski's Kodachrome was reusing a name used before for a 'film' that also was rather good and well respected.

So from that point of view, why not again?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I don't think they sell enough Ektachrome to consider creating another E-6 film. I wish. I can't get through to Kodak because they are closed for the holiday but there is talk that E100GX and Elite Chrome 100 are being discontinued. Ektachrome has my support.
    Helping to save analog photography one exposure at a time

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    If they were going to do something like this, it would need to be really different.

Maybe an ECN related process, tweaked to give negatives that were both scan-able for (paper) print production, and printable on to transparency materials (like Seattle Film Works in days of yore, but better).

It would be even better if there were a colour print material optimised for the contrast of the ECN negatives (I can dream can't I?).

Matt

Shooter
    Large Format
    anybody remember the "New Coke" marketing game?

Shooter
    Medium Format
    If Kodak were selling the same quantity of Kodachrome, as the Coca Cola corp are selling cans of trademarked carbonated beverages, I can be confident of the following.
    a) they wouldn't have canned it
    b) you'd have K25,64,200 all the way to K3200, in 35mm, motion sizes, 120,220, all the way to 8x10
    c) Dwaynes would have melted under the strain, and would be looking for a bigger site.

If anyone these days is likely to launch a slide film with a K-14 pallette, I'm not sure its Kodak. More likely Fuji, as they appear to be still working seriously with E6.
    Kodak seem to be focussing on the C41 materials
    Last edited by Aurum; 07-02-2009 at 04:42 PM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: Comment about Fuji
    "Flatter Me, and I May Not Believe You. Criticize Me, and I May Not like You. Ignore Me, and I May Not Forgive You. Encourage Me, and I Will Not Forget You."

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Smith View Post
    I suppose you could project Ektar but it wouldn't look much like Kodachrome!!!

Steve.
    Of course you could project Ektar; you just have to scan it first, and use a digital projector...
    Eddy McDonald
    www.fotoartes.com
    Eschew defenestration!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    seeing big yellow is selling their printers
    (you know, the ones that are supposed to change the world)
    on the cartoon network inbetween episodes
    of chowder, spongebob and flapjack, it seems they have
    their priorities in a different place.

it is unfortunate, but true.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin