Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,872   Posts: 1,520,097   Online: 808

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    dmr
    Shooter
    35mm

A "New Kodachrome", why didn't they? ...

I was doing some thinking last night -- yes, dangerous I know.

Big Yellow has over 1/2 of a century of equity built up in the brand name Kodachrome, and it seems to me that the various Rhodes Scholar MBA marketroid types that Big Yellow obviously employs would like to retain that equity instead of flushing it down the hopper by "retiring" the brand.

I would think that an obvious way to salvage the equity while retiring the current K14 film would be to introduce something along the line of a "New Kodachrome", maybe branded something like "Kodachrome-E" which would actually be an E6 film with colors somewhat restrained as compared to the current Ekta/Elitechrome offerings.

Any thoughts on this one, gang?

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    That's why they're the in the executive offices and we're the ones stuck holding their golden bags.
    Thank you.
    CWalrath
    APUG BLIND PRINT EXCHANGE
    DE Darkroom

"Wubba, wubba, wubba. Bing, bang, bong. Yuck, yuck, yuck and a fiddle-dee-dee." - The Yeti

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    I suspect you're far more likely to see it stuck on a P&S digital camera...
    Another day goes under; a little bourbon will take the strain...

dmr
    Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by tim_walls View Post
    I suspect you're far more likely to see it stuck on a P&S digital camera...
    /me throws up!

Shooter
    35mm
    Technically speaking, that should be possible, but it would require a considerable amount of time and budget. Given the fact that E6 is a shrinking (and small) market and that Kodak hasn't done any effort to develop anything new, I find it hard to believe that they will do now. I can't blame them, they need to get the investment back and that's not very easy IMHO.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    The all-new Kodak Kodachrome. Our limited run of the pimped out Easy Share . . .
    Thank you.
    CWalrath
    DE Darkroom

"Wubba, wubba, wubba. Bing, bang, bong. Yuck, yuck, yuck and a fiddle-dee-dee." - The Yeti

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Talk to your local E-6 processor about the trend in numbers of rolls developed over the last several years. They'd love to see more coming in to justify keeping the service, but the places I've used in the last 10 years have gone out of business, or gone from 2-3 runs/day to a couple of runs a week. From what I've seen, it appears that digital is replacing E-6 at a faster rate than it has replaced print film. E6 was driven by the professional market, and that has converted earlier and more rapidly than the amateur print film market.

Besides that, Kodachrome shooters know exactly what Kodachrome is, and if Kodak came out with an "E-6 Kodachrome" there would be a year long 500 page thread on APUG blasting Kodak for it, and it would never be accepted by Kodachrome customers as a real substitute. Kodak has already come out with warmer balanced E6 films that were designed to have more of a Kodachrome balance, and there's a current thread on APUG about that possibly being discontinued.

Lee
    Last edited by Lee L; 07-02-2009 at 07:21 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Lee L View Post
    ...Kodachrome shooters know exactly what Kodachrome is, and if Kodak came out with an "E-6 Kodachrome" there would be a year long 500 page thread on APUG blasting Kodak for it, and it would never be accepted by Kodachrome customers as a real substitute....
    Precisely. It would be a no-win for Kodak in either the
    fiscal or public-relations spheres, to replace a beloved flagship niche product with a scorned substitute in a rapidly-declining product category.

Just look at the frequency with which Kodak gets castigated here--where folks should know better--for "abandoning" its customers whenever it drops a little-used or unprofitable product. (Look no further than this thread for an example of snarky commentary that doesn't advance the cause of film photography.) This despite offering a slate of new or improved films the past few years that it might actually be able to sell profitably.

Lee's analysis is spot-on.
    Last edited by MikeSeb; 07-02-2009 at 08:05 AM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: Getting in my digs
    Michael Sebastian
    Website | Blog

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry9000/4.6.0.167 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/102 UP.Link/6.3.0.0.0)

Yes, Lee's analysis is spot on.
    Thank you.
    CWalrath
    DE Darkroom

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I think that Kodak considers Ektar 100 to be the new Kodachrome now that slides are more likely to be scanned and printed than projected.

I suppose you could project Ektar but it wouldn't look much like Kodachrome!!!

Steve.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin