Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,548   Posts: 1,544,554   Online: 990

E76
    Shooter
    Instant Films
    Images

CTO in Place of 85B Filter

I have quarter, half, and full CTO gels along with bunch of tungsten slide film I would like to use outdoors, but no 85B filter. Is it possible to use a CTO in place of an 85B? What kind of results can I expect? It seems like it might work, but I cannot be sure.

Thanks.

Shooter
    35mm
    Color wise the CTO will work fine. Optically it will depend on how good the gel is and where you put can it.

E76
    Shooter
    Instant Films
    Images
    Any idea as to what the required exposure compensation with any of the CTO filters would be? So far I have found conflicting sources of information stating that a full CTO is identical to an 85B (+3/4 stop) and others saying a full CTO is actually warmer than an 85B, meaning the correction would be closer to +1 stop, if not more. 1/3 of a stop can make a big difference with slides!

AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    From the curves I've got I deduce that a full CTO is identical in filtration to a 85B (a 1/2 CTO would be a 85C).

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Hold a ambient meter under the gel then without, and note the difference for your stop compensation.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    just meter through the gel before you expose, making sure to put the gel back over the lens though, as i inadvertently didn't yesterday, ooops. it'll be alright, slides will be a little bluer than i'd like, but the kodachrome should manage alright

-dan

E76
    Shooter
    Instant Films
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by DanielStone View Post
    just meter through the gel before you expose, making sure to put the gel back over the lens though, as i inadvertently didn't yesterday, ooops.
    That's exactly why I don't want to do that.

Thanks for all the help guys!

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin