Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,877   Posts: 1,520,267   Online: 1141

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Yes, I think it's an RGB laser thingy. The interesting thing is that one of the slides I had printed up about 15 years ago, and a side by side comparison with the new shows that it looks much much better now. I have no idea what the old process was, possibly interneg. To be honest, I'm so impressed with the results that I don't really care how it was produced. I still do my own B+W work in the darkroom, but have never really gotten many colour transparencies printed up commercially because they were always a bit poor compared to seeing them projected, but my opinion has certainly changed now. Viva 35mm (but don't tell my MF kit...).

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Ironically, I had some 35mm prints back from Peak Imaging today, shot on Kodak Gold 200. I'm a little disappointed. At 12"x8" the grain is quite obtrusive in the darker shots. This isn't Peak's problem, I'm sure. I've used them lots of times with no problems. It's clearly the quality of the film. Unfortunately, Gold was all I could find on the day. Next time, back to Reala.

That said, although the grain is quite noticeable, the prints are nice and sharp, so the resolution is there.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I used to be quite happy with Gold in my early days, then I discovered Reala. After you have found something you really like it's hard to go back.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I actually prefer Fujicolor 400 to Kodak Gold 200. I think it not only scans better, but Gold 200 just doesn't respond well to blue skies, for some reason.
    http://www.zone-10.com

When you turn your camera on, does it return the favor?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Have to agree Ken, I don't shoot 400 ISO colour neg films, but I commissioned some images (sisters wedding) which were shot on Fujicolor 400 and the negatives were outstanding that was 26 years ago, and Fuji films are now far better

Personally I've never particularly liked Kodak's colour films except for K25, I've always found Fuji far more natural in colour balance, and back in E3/4 days Fuji was streets ahead. in terms of contrast/colour balance. Agfa CT18, and Agfacilor neg was also better than Kodak.

Ian

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I have heard of 20X30 prints from Kodachrome shot with Leica.
    Helping to save analog photography one exposure at a time

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I've gotten some beautiful 11x14" enlargements from 35mm Ilford FP4 Plus. I haven't enlarged any of my colour work that big yet, but I'm betting the slower C41 films would enlarge to that quite nicely if I used the same good technique during shooting.

I just got my first roll of 120 Kodak Ektar 100 back from the lab and the proof prints sure are nice. I'm tempted to see how a 16x16" would look from them.
    Jim MacKenzie - Regina, Saskatchewan, Canada

A bunch of Nikons; Feds, Zorkis and a Kiev; Pentax 67-II (inherited from my deceased father-in-law); Bronica SQ-A; and a nice Shen Hao 4x5 field camera with 3 decent lenses that needs to be taken outside more. Oh, and as of mid-2012, one of those bodies we don't talk about here.

Favourite film: do I need to pick only one?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Yes, 35mm slides printed to Ilfo' can show a phenomenal amount of detail if you are seriously investing in quality optics and, especially, framing (what I term an holistic approach to photography in terms of financial commitment, not a token effort). From my Velvia 50 / 100 Provia 100F 35mm trannies I print to Ilfochrome up to 30x50cm (any bigger and production expense exceeds return). I do often stat print to RA-4 process for clients to peruse/assess, but fine art finals are always produced to Ilfochrome, as I have done for 20+ years. Be it noted that printing heaps and heaps of one's beautiful trannies to Ilfochrome might be everybody's dream, but in real life it is prohibitively expensive: for me, only 4 each month get done this way, then comes the expense of MGCF jobbing, titling then the sale and thus onto the next production run.
    .::Gary Rowan Higgins

A comfort zone is a wonderful place. But nothing ever grows there.
    —Anon.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Doea anyone know what resolution a Fuji Frontier scans at? I guess this is more of a question for hybridphoto, but since all my colour prints come via one apparently, it seems at least relevant for this forum.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by xtolsniffer View Post
    Doea anyone know what resolution a Fuji Frontier scans at? I guess this is more of a question for hybridphoto, but since all my colour prints come via one apparently, it seems at least relevant for this forum.
    If the maximum print width coming from a frontier is 8", a 135 frame is 24mm wide, and it prints at 300dpi, then it must be scanning at 2540dpi. Frankly, I don't really know; it's just some common knowledge, some data gathered from google and a bit of math.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin