Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,681   Posts: 1,548,512   Online: 839

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format

I had no idea 35mm could carry that resolution!

I've just had some old transparencies printed up by Peak Imaging in the UK. A few 35mm slides I had printed up to 18x12". I wasn't expecting much, the largest I've ever had 35mm enlarged to was about 10x8", but my word, they look great! I have some provia, some velvia and some K25, usually taken with either Olympus, Nikon or Tamron lenses, on a tripod, mirror locked up etc. Grain hardly visible, really sharp and lovely colours. It's forced me to re-evaluate my opinion on the quality of 35mm. There is an amazing amount of detail in there.
    Mind you, the prints from my 6x7 slides from my RB67 are...well you can guess!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    How are you having them printed? As Ilfochromes? Or scanned and then RA-4?

I know that there is an awful lot that can be done with transparency film to get it to scan to look like a million bucks, but after having seen some Cibachrome projection prints from both 35mm, 6x6 120, and 4x5 all I can say is I wish I had more cash to print some of my own transparencies that way. Wow.
    "Often moments come looking for us". - Robert Frank

"Make good art!" - Neil Gaiman

"...the heart and mind are the true lens of the camera". - Yousuf Karsh

Shooter
    Multi Format
    It was scanned then RA-4, but that still looks great.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by xtolsniffer View Post
    It was scanned then RA-4, but that still looks great.
    RIP software can work magic in preserving and enhancing quality, it's not an area for discussion on APUG though

Ian

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    so did you have drum scans made of the slides? From personal experience, they are leaps and bounds better than any other type of scan done. But this is for another site, no more from me

-dan

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian Grant View Post
    RIP software can work magic in preserving and enhancing quality, it's not an area for discussion on APUG though

Ian
    They were probably actually printed with a digital minilab, like the Fuji Frontier. These machines have a built in film scanner and they then use lasers to expose regular color paper, which is RA-4 processed like normal. The results can be very very good.
    Chris Crawford
    Fine Art Photography of Indiana and other places no one else photographs.

http://www.chriscrawfordphoto.com

My Tested Developing Times with the films and developers I use

Become a fan of my work on Facebook

Fort Wayne, Indiana

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Does all the silver get washed away in a chrome positive - leaving only the dye cloud? Or only some of the silver?
    I brake for fixer!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Yes, we can't mention any form of non-analog here on this site. Everything you've said is irrelevant.

One thing we noticed back in the late nineties was that the d_gitization process tended to INCREASE the apparent format of the film by one entire step. 35mm became as good as 645, 645 as good as 6x7, 6x7 as good as 4x5. And then the film manufacturers started to modify the film bases to improve scanning even more. Of course, this depended entirely on the scanning technology.

Personally, I have found today's 35mm films, such as Fujichrome Velvia 100, Fujicolor 160S and Kodak Portra 160NC to be so incredibly fine and sharp that my desire for larger formats has been substantially thwarted. Most of the time, it's not the stupid film, it's the stupid photographer.
    http://www.zone-10.com

When you turn your camera on, does it return the favor?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Have to agree that the quality of modern colour films is outstanding from Fuji and Kodak and 35mm negs and transparencies are remarkably fine grained.

Match that up with something like a Fuji Frontier and the enlargements are even better.

Quote Originally Posted by chriscrawfordphoto View Post
    They were probably actually printed with a digital minilab, like the Fuji Frontier. These machines have a built in film scanner and they then use lasers to expose regular color paper, which is RA-4 processed like normal. The results can be very very good.
    These machines include RIP type software, Ilford uses a Frontier for it's B&W print service and having seen the quality of their printing service the poor reputation of digital minlab quality is well in the past.

Ian

Shooter
    Multi Format
    While I can get sharp 12"x18" 35mm prints from the scan and then print via RA-4 process, I still get better larger print by having the work done at an all optical custom photofinisher.

I have a number of 35mm C-41 negatives that I have had printed 24"x36" and are still sharp and sometimes the grain can be seen if you push your nose into the print. This all depends on the film, the processing, the printing and the phase of the Moon.

Steve
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin