Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,556   Posts: 1,573,218   Online: 1007

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Tips for Ektar 120 format

I just ordered some 120 Ektar and am looking for to seeing how it performs. Has anyone used some 120 already and if so are there any tips that would help to maximize the qualities of the film?

TIA
    http://www.apug.org/gallery/showgallery.php?cat=500&ppuser=10716
    http://home.comcast.net/~rem700a/westviews.html

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I shoot it only in 120; it's an awesome film. I'm on my fourth or fifth 5-pack with more in the freezer. Make sure you process it in C-41 chemistry and all will be well.

No, seriously; I really like it a lot. I can see it becoming my low-speed mainstay. It seems more saturated than Portra VC, especially in reds and greens; and it may be a bit warmer. Not really sure, can't put my finger on it. It's just different; and different good. The grain is nearly imperceptible, and it's razor sharp. No, I'm not a shill for Kodak; but they hit a home run with Ektar.

Stephen Schaub over at Figital Revolution has tested it extensively, and says it's best shot at EI 64. I've not found this to be the case, and I'm getting plenty of shadow detail at box speed. As always, each user has to test for his/her setup.
    Michael Sebastian
    Website | Blog

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I haven't gotten to my first 120 pack of Ektar yet (in the fridge), but I've shot two rolls in 35mm at box speed doing nothing special and it came out very nice.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Thanks for your info. There is a related thread on this film in which it is stated that there was a decided cyan tint to the sky in bright daylight not seen on overcast days. I am going to try a warming filter on a few shots to see if this helps. We have a WHOLE bunch of bright blue sky each day here in Tucson.
    http://www.apug.org/gallery/showgallery.php?cat=500&ppuser=10716
    http://home.comcast.net/~rem700a/westviews.html

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Take the lens cap off before you fire the shutter.

Steve
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I love shooting it metered at 64, looks pretty, nice saturation, very pleasing. The pictures will definitely 'pop' when you see them!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    It is contrasty, so be careful with your metering.

It has very Crayola-like color, so choose your subjects wisely.
    2F/2F

"Truth and love are my law and worship. Form and conscience are my manifestation and guide. Nature and peace are my shelter and companions. Order is my attitude. Beauty and perfection are my attack."

- Rob Tyner (1944 - 1991)

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by 2F/2F View Post
    It is contrasty, so be careful with your metering.

It has very Crayola-like color, so choose your subjects wisely.
    That's a very creative and accurate description of Ektar's look! I think the reds in particular are exaggerated, but I like the look of the film myself, but then there are few films I don't like. I suppose Kodak designed it to compete with the saturated colors of much of the digital palette.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin