Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,821   Posts: 1,581,651   Online: 881

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Tips and insights shooting with Kodak Ektar 100

I am really happy with the results from Ektar 100 with shots taken on overcast days. However in direct sun, I find the sky has pronounced cyan cast to it. Now I have shot the film both at ISO 64 and at box speed with largely the same results. Is there a trick to get decent blue skies with this film aside from being anal with metering?

Here is a sample image:

Last edited by Uncle Bill; 07-13-2009 at 03:51 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    "Life moves pretty fast, if you don't stop and look around once and a while, you might just miss it."
    Ferris Bueller

Shooter
    35mm
    Bill, could you please tell us if you're using a minilab to get prints? If so, I wouldn't be surprised if you get more or less the same image at 2/3rds of a stop lower EI. And if you do have minilab prints of the same scene at different EIs, could you tell us what's printed at the back of them?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The above image was shot with an Olympus OM2n, shot tons of Fuji slide and c-41 with that camera with no issues, I usually overexpose by a stop with Fuji C-41 and shoot box speed with E-6.

The above scan this was my first landscape shot with blue sky in the backgound. Now looking outside my window at about 8:30 a.m. the skies in my part of the world (Central Canada) is a pale blue.

Other shots taken with Ektar 100 that don't involve blue sky look mind blowing great even at box speed. I am going to follow your advice, play with the EI and run it through another camera (a Nikon F3HP). I am using Shoppers Drug Mart C-41 mini lab and I think they are using a Noritsu (sp?).system.

The only other time I shot with Ektar 100 was with my Leica M3 exposed at ISO 64 and all shots were incident metered with a Gossen Profisix but did not shoot any landscapes with big blue sky in it.
    "Life moves pretty fast, if you don't stop and look around once and a while, you might just miss it."
    Ferris Bueller

Shooter
    Large Format
    Haven't used this film myself, but just read a post on another forum which stated that overexposure can cause weird color with Ektar 100. Perhaps try bracketing in the other direction. I would suspect the mini lab, though.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    So far I have only seen cyan skies with it. Not my cup of tea. Perhaps it is indeed an issue of processing. I'd be curious if anyone has gotten realistic skies with it... without any scan/software adjustments....
    "Only dead fish follow the stream"

[APUG Portfolio] [APUG Blog] [Website]

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    You may need a UV filter over the lens.

PE

Shooter
    35mm
    I look forward to using this film in 120 size. I develop C41 at home, so there should be no excuses for processing shortcomings!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I have UV lenses on all my lenses with all my camera systems. I think I am going to eat the cost and get the next roll done through a pro lab and eliminating the lab issue. I think also bracketing is also in my future in my continued testing with this film.
    Ferris Bueller

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I shoot this film in 120 only--not that it probably makes a difference. I've seen knowledgable opinions that it should be shot at 64, but my own experience is that it looks fine at box speed. This film produces saturated reds and greens, and I've found certain skies to look more purplish than they do cyan to me.

A very good film that I could see becoming my low-speed mainstay once I've fully learned its quirks.
    Michael Sebastian
    Website | Blog

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I didn't like it so much.

The histograms on Ektar are pretty alien to me regarding digital scanning.

Tried about 5 rolls in 120 and 2 in 35mm but decided it wasn't worth the time to re-interpret where my colors should/can be at.

Currently using Portra 160NC mostly for color
    I brake for fixer!

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin