Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,550   Posts: 1,544,706   Online: 947

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by ntenny View Post
    To take the thread back to its original subject, I've just gotten my first roll of the E-6 CR200 back from Dwayne's. I haven't shot slide film since I was a kid, so I'm not at all confident that I can discern much about the film itself, but I'm fairly happy with the results, all things considered.

It looks like I underexposed a touch; the slides look good when held up to a bright light, but it has to be a *bright* light to see them clearly, and on scanning them (or I assume projecting them, but I can't find the projector!) it becomes clear that some shadow detail is missing. The colours seem quite nice to my eye, not particularly saturated but quite realistic; I shot through a warming filter and I think it was more than I needed.

But the film looks pretty grainy, enough to impair the sense of sharpness in the images. It's a 200 ASA film, of course; I don't expect miracles, but it seems grainier than my expectations even with that in mind. Is this the same thing other users are finding, or is it a side effect of underexposure?

Thanks

-NT
    I've been meaning to try this for a while. Apparently it is a grainy film.
    www.EASmithV.com

"The camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera."— Dorothea Lange
    http://www.flickr.com/easmithv/
    RIP Kodachrome

Shooter
    Multi Format
    RSXII (Rollei CR200) was never a very fine grained film but with high saturated colors so in that way very suitable to try in cross processing.

So I can imagine the idea about Crossbird.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    It is rather grainy. More so than E200.
    Helping to save analog photography one exposure at a time

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Ektagraphic View Post
    It is rather grainy. More so than E200.
    If it's as you say and has a grain and color rendering similar to that of Kodachrome, then it is something that I am definately going to try.

That as well as cross processing c41 film in e6. I've heard that the results you get are fairly useless doing that, so naturally I want to try it.
    www.EASmithV.com

"The camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera."— Dorothea Lange
    http://www.flickr.com/easmithv/
    RIP Kodachrome

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I wouldn't say that the grain is similar to Kodachrome. Kodachrome less grainy than this.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Ektagraphic View Post
    I wouldn't say that the grain is similar to Kodachrome. Kodachrome less grainy than this.
    Which Kodachrome? I found K200 to be fairly grainy.
    flickr--http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidagoldfarb/
    Photography (not as up to date as the flickr site)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com/photo
    Academic (Slavic and Comparative Literature)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I am talking about 64.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by bob100684 View Post
    It was called SCANFILM because someone got it through their head that it would scan better and make "purer" colors without an orange base. Someone forgot that most consumer geared scanners including the ones on minilabs are set up for films with an orange base and its a pain in the ass to get correct results or even make a decent channel for a maskless color neg film. The other part about it being a color and B/W film had something to do with it being a royal pain in the ass to print an orange based color neg onto b/w paper.
    FWIW, I've shot one roll of the C-41 film, and I don't recall setting up my scanner software (VueScan) for it to be particularly tough. The VueScan "base colors" were weird, of course, but the software handled the film just fine. I've not tried printing the film in my darkroom, so I don't know how easy that task would be. (Would sticking an unexposed frame of a conventional C-41 film in the light path help matters?)

Of course, all of this is irrelevant for a true E-6 slide film processed as E-6.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I just looked at it on the slide projector and I like it even more. It is a warmer film than the colors of Ektachrome.

Shooter
    Medium Format

ROLLEI Digibase CR200

No doubt, this ISO 200 E-6 slide film on a modern polyester film base, will be my only favoured future 120 roll film for my medium format cameras. I like its very nice natural colors, and for its ISO 200, the film is as sharp as your lenses, with an very fine grain.

Cheers

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin