Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,826   Posts: 1,582,045   Online: 754

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Colin Corneau View Post
    That's what's called a "lazy tax", applied to those who don't send it off to Dwayne's themselves.
    That's silliness, Colin. When Qualex existed, it wasn't "lazy" to take one's Kodachrome to a lab that contracted out special processing via Qualex (or Qualex via Fuji). I was bringing Kodachrome to my Shoppers around the corner, and I patiently waited 4 weeks for the return. I wouldn't call that "lazy", but convenient, which is what Kodachrome needed most and never really got. It meant not worrying about filling out customs forms or getting things lost or delayed by the extra-rapid Canada Post*.

No, that Henry's location was being a pest. Maybe that Waterloo location poo-poohs film and finds it to be disproportionately low revenue, as one I visited in Ottawa did when the guy kept trying to tell me how great a D300 was, despite my insistence that I wanted to buy a couple rolls of Ilford. So annoying. But the one I go to in town here seems to have regard for film and processing services still.

* This comes in noting how it mysteriously takes 52 hours to make it from Queen Street to Bloor Street in Toronto using an Xpresspost mailer for a delivery of official documents — a total of about 7-10 minutes by bicycle — when one could crawl that distance in probably a twelfth the time.

SMG

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    The Waterloo Henry's is not great for film, but there is one guy there who still supports it. The rest of the staff are basically not interested in it and don't know much at all about it.
    I was in there the other day buying some film and the manager was standing there. I said to him that he should get some of the new Kodak Ektar and he looked at me like I had three heads. His response was "I don't know film at all, maybe someone else here can help you". I told him that I was not asking for some right at the moment, but rather that I would like them to order some for me. He just shrugged his shoulders and turned back to arranging the film in the little case they have for it. What a tool.

Anyhow, when I saw the notice about Kodachrome yesterday I was really shocked. Yes, if I decided to get some done I would send it direct to Dwaynes and not give Henry's another cent of that revenue.

There is another small shop here in town that supports film decently and processes on site so I will be working with them more and more.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Someone should have a little chat with that manager, as it is in his best interest to accommodate the revenue from all photographers, not just a tyrannical majority. It makes the difference between a camera joint and a camera shop renown for its great staff. Perhaps that's the thing about chain stores: aside from layout and pricing, it's foolhardy to assume that they'll all behave alike.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    After seeing this thread, and finding that B&H and Adorama were already out of stock again, I did a little searching around and found that Unique Photo in NJ's web site is till showing availability on PKR, at $13 a roll, though the regular is gone (they say a reorder is coming on Aug. 3). So I ordered some of the PKR. I've never been a big slide shooter, but I'll feel bad if I don't get one last go with Kodachrome.

GJA
    Shooter
    4x5 Format
    It seems that by announcing its end, Kodak has increased sales of Kodacrome enormously. In my opinion it would be a good idea for them to discontinue all of their film products every few months.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by GJA View Post
    It seems that by announcing its end, Kodak has increased sales of Kodacrome enormously. In my opinion it would be a good idea for them to discontinue all of their film products every few months.
    I think that the phrase "crying wolf" might apply to that strategy.
    Jim MacKenzie - Regina, Saskatchewan, Canada

A bunch of Nikons; Feds, Zorkis and a Kiev; Pentax 67-II (inherited from my deceased father-in-law); Bronica SQ-A; and a nice Shen Hao 4x5 field camera with 3 decent lenses that needs to be taken outside more. Oh, and as of mid-2012, one of those bodies we don't talk about here.

Favourite film: do I need to pick only one?

Shooter
    Large Format
    Too bad it's not enough of an incentive for them to make just one last batch...

Ed
    "I only wanted Uncle Vern standing by his new car (a Hudson) on a clear day. I got him and the car. I also got a bit of Aunt Mary's laundry, and Beau Jack, the dog, peeing on a fence, and a row of potted tuberous begonias on the porch and 78 trees and a million pebbles in the driveway and more. It's a generous medium, photography." -- Lee Friedlander

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by SMG View Post
    I just checked how much the local camera shop, Henry's in Waterloo Ontario, would charge to develop that film. $50 CDN a ROLL!!!!!

Their explanation of the cost is because it now has to go to Kansas for processing. Guess I will never get the one and only roll of Kodachrome I ever shot processed now.

That just sucks.

But, great to hear that someone has it in stock.

Woo hoo.
    You are near the border. Make a day trip out of it. Go toward Buffalo or Windsor/Detroit and take it to the first Wal-Mart you come across...or just mail it to Dwayne's...or send it to an APUGer in the Detroit area who will be sending a big batch to Dwayne's. There are numerous options.
    2F/2F

"Truth and love are my law and worship. Form and conscience are my manifestation and guide. Nature and peace are my shelter and companions. Order is my attitude. Beauty and perfection are my attack."

- Rob Tyner (1944 - 1991)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by 2F/2F View Post
    You are near the border. Make a day trip out of it. Go toward Buffalo or Windsor/Detroit and take it to the first Wal-Mart you come across...or just mail it to Dwayne's...or send it to an APUGer in the Detroit area who will be sending a big batch to Dwayne's. There are numerous options.
    The Wal-Marts I have visited in Washington State have told me in no uncertain terms that they used to be able to forward Kodachrome to Dwaynes, but they no longer are able to do so.

Matt

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by MattKing View Post
    The Wal-Marts I have visited in Washington State have told me in no uncertain terms that they used to be able to forward Kodachrome to Dwaynes, but they no longer are able to do so.

Matt
    I guess they finally got hip to the loophole in their processing policy...
    2F/2F

"Truth and love are my law and worship. Form and conscience are my manifestation and guide. Nature and peace are my shelter and companions. Order is my attitude. Beauty and perfection are my attack."

- Rob Tyner (1944 - 1991)

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin