Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,710   Posts: 1,548,627   Online: 1165

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    Medium Format

Ektar 100 vs. Portra 160VC: an informal comparison

For you C-41 shooters I've posted a few thoughts about these two films on my blog here.

I'd welcome your opinions also about Ektar in comparison with other films. I've shot little transparency film in my day--personal preference and habit only. I've heard some say that Ektar reminds them of Kodachrome; do you experienced Kodachrome shooters agree?

Thanks for reading, and for your feedback.
    Michael Sebastian
    Website | Blog

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Ektar does not remind me of Kodachrome that much. It seems like it is *trying*, but falling short...not that it is a bad film or anything; just not like Kodachrome. Besides, in order to really make the comparison, we would have to view prints from both films. I don't think that comparing an RA print to a directly-viewed transparency is a useful comparison for any *practical* purpose. For practical purposes, this means comparing litho prints made from each, as we would see in a magazine, for instance.

I think that E100VS is closer to Kodachrome (25 and 64), and is also directly comparable on a light box.

P.S. Waffle House - yah! We can't get sweet tea out here in the sticks, so trips back east are always appreciated for Waffle House sweet tea, if nothing else.
    2F/2F

"Truth and love are my law and worship. Form and conscience are my manifestation and guide. Nature and peace are my shelter and companions. Order is my attitude. Beauty and perfection are my attack."

- Rob Tyner (1944 - 1991)

Shooter
    35mm
    I shoot a ton of Kodachrome and it is my primary film and will be until Dec 2010. But as far as print film goes Ektar 100 is the first C41 film that has excited me I have even shot a few rolls of the 120 version and it sure is a wow factor as far as I am concerned. Does it look like Kodachrome well nothing seems to look like Kodachrome but it is closer than other C41 film out there. This is a very good film I will use it alot when Kodachrome goes away along with Ektachrome E100G.

Jim

PS I love the pool shots great color and sharpness!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I'll add my grain of salt with some earlier comments on APUG abour Portra VC, Ektar, and Ektachrome VS

http://www.apug.org/forums/forum40/6...tml#post817112

I do agree about the dull days colour cast, though (all examples 35mm Ektar 100, neg scan, Contax IIa with 50mm f/1.5 Sonnar, KR1.5 filter). The sky can get a bit magenta as well:

With Ektar, you'd better look for saturated colours if the light is dull:

I shot Ektar on a very dull Fall day last year, interested in seeing how it would saturate colours, but it changed little:

In the following shot, I'm satisfied with the saturation of the bright colours, but the competition with the greenish/magenta cast due to the dull day is annoying:

I have not had the chance yet to print Ektar 100 on RA-4, but will do so very soon to see how much the cast can be filtered out.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Cast.jpg   Assomption1.jpg   Berries.jpg   Xmas.jpg  
    Using film since before it was hip.

"One of the most singular characters of the hyposulphites, is the property their solutions possess of dissolving muriate of silver and retaining it in considerable quantity in permanent solution" — Sir John Frederick William Herschel, "On the Hyposulphurous Acid and its Compounds." The Edinburgh Philosophical Journal, Vol. 1 (8 Jan. 1819): 8-29. p. 11

My APUG Portfolio

Shooter
    35mm
    So we're comparing scans? Scans with auto-white/colour-balancing presumably?

With all due respect, unless your scanner has been properly profiled these tests are indeed informal. Nevertheless substantially better than the "I just got these scans back from the drugstore and this film is awful!" threads seen on various forums.

It's a shame Kodak doesn't release high-res "textbook" scans to show us exactly what their films can do when they put easy "scanability" on the feature list. I imagine the lack of any proper scanning standards is a major obstacle.

Anyone tried printing this film optically?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Color casts in overcast light are too be expected on any film, and are always exaggerated on the more saturated and contrastier films. The films are balanced for somewhere in the neighborhood of 5K, and overcast days do not have a 5K color of light.
    2F/2F

"Truth and love are my law and worship. Form and conscience are my manifestation and guide. Nature and peace are my shelter and companions. Order is my attitude. Beauty and perfection are my attack."

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by 2F/2F View Post
    Color casts in overcast light are too be expected on any film, and are always exaggerated on the more saturated and contrastier films. The films are balanced for somewhere in the neighborhood of 5K, and overcast days do not have a 5K color of light.
    Anyone know the color temperture of an overcast sky?

Steve
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Sirius Glass View Post
    Anyone know the color temperture of an overcast sky?

Steve
    It varies. Usually cooler than a clear noon day by around 1,000 to 2,000K.

As for the color of the sky on the print, that is up to you.
    2F/2F

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by 2F/2F View Post
    It varies. Usually cooler than a clear noon day by around 1,000 to 2,000K.

As for the color of the sky on the print, that is up to you.
    Thanks, that is what I was thinking.

Steve
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Admbws View Post
    So we're comparing scans? Scans with auto-white/colour-balancing presumably?

With all due respect, unless your scanner has been properly profiled these tests are indeed informal. Nevertheless substantially better than the "I just got these scans back from the drugstore and this film is awful!" threads seen on various forums.

It's a shame Kodak doesn't release high-res "textbook" scans to show us exactly what their films can do when they put easy "scanability" on the feature list. I imagine the lack of any proper scanning standards is a major obstacle.

Anyone tried printing this film optically?
    Let's see your RA4 prints, then.
    Using film since before it was hip.

"One of the most singular characters of the hyposulphites, is the property their solutions possess of dissolving muriate of silver and retaining it in considerable quantity in permanent solution" — Sir John Frederick William Herschel, "On the Hyposulphurous Acid and its Compounds." The Edinburgh Philosophical Journal, Vol. 1 (8 Jan. 1819): 8-29. p. 11

My APUG Portfolio

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin