Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,993   Posts: 1,524,258   Online: 1007

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Shooter
    Medium Format

How can I remove anti-halation layer from C41 film

Hi all,

I'm home developing 5x4 sheet film in some home made tubes. My problem is that the film 'sticks' to the inside of the tube and the chemistry often doesn't completely remove the anti-halation layer from the back of the sheet.

This isn't a problem with black and white, as the anti-halation layer is water soluble and I could 'wash' it off after fixing.

As the C41 film doesn't seem to have a water soluble AH layer, can I put the film, after Blix, back into the developer to remove the AH layer, then a brief blix (1minute maybe) before the normal 5-7min rinse?

Sorry if this is a silly question, but I'm rather new to this 'homebrew" C41 stuff.

Thanks in advance

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I'm watching this thread... I did not think that C41 HAD an "anti-halation" layer.
    The respooled motion picture stock from Seattle Film DID, much to the horror of a few one-hour machine operators (one roll would gum up the whole works) but that was NOT "C41".
    I've developed a few (actually sgnificantly more than a "few") rolls of 35mm and 120, and haven't had to "remove an anti-halation layer" yet.
    Carpe erratum!!

Ed Sukach, FFP.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Ed Sukach View Post
    I'm watching this thread... I did not think that C41 HAD an "anti-halation" layer.

Hmmm... that's got me thinking. I thought all films had an anti halation layer. Either way I'm getting streaks that look to be originating on the back, i.e. non emulsion, side of the film. I assumed it was an AH layer because I've seen the same problem when developing 5x4 B&W sheet film...

can anyone shed a little light on this (no pun intended)?

Shooter
    35mm
    The respooled motion picture stock from Seattle Film DID, much to the horror of a few one-hour machine operators (one roll would gum up the whole works) but that was NOT "C41".
    I've developed a few (actually sgnificantly more than a "few") rolls of 35mm and 120, and haven't had to "remove an anti-halation layer" yet.
    All films have AH layer. C41, E6 etc are no exceptions. The other MP films you mention have remjet coating. It might function as an AH layer, but it's not just for that.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    C41 & E6 films are best processed in a way that allows flow of chemistry to front & back, Jobo make 5x4 reels and HP & Yankee tanks are also suitable.

Ian

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    I am a newbie so my answer is in the form of a question: Can you pre-rinse the film in distilled HOH for a minute before processing and will this wash off the halation layer and prevent the film from sticking to the tubes?

Best,

Rudy
    "Get over it."

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Unfortunately few films allow that usually just Adox/EFKE B&W films.

Ian

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Anon Ymous View Post
    All films have AH layer. C41, E6 etc are no exceptions. The other MP films you mention have remjet coating. It might function as an AH layer, but it's not just for that.
    There might be a film construction where there is some sort of "provision" for controlling "halation" - but I don't know about a specific "layer" dedicated to that purpose, except fpr the "rem-jet" on motion picture stock.
    Be that as it may, NONE of the Black and White, C41, E6, IR ... or anything else I have processed has required "anti-halation layer removal". As far as I know, there is no specific "step" or "chenical solution" specifically dedicated for that puropse, and I for one have never noticed a need for that, either.
    But ... I certainly am NOTHING like an "expert" here - possibly PE (who, in my book, has passed that requirement long ago) can offer resolution here.
    Carpe erratum!!

Ed Sukach, FFP.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I believe that the anti-halation layer in still films (except Kodachrome) is developer-soluble, that is the developer chemically changes the opaque part of the AH layer, rendering it transparent. The only film currently available without an AH layer is (IIRC) Efke IR820 Aura.

Shooter
    35mm
    There might be a film construction where there is some sort of "provision" for controlling "halation" - but I don't know about a specific "layer" dedicated to that purpose, except fpr the "rem-jet" on motion picture stock.
    Be that as it may, NONE of the Black and White, C41, E6, IR ... or anything else I have processed has required "anti-halation layer removal". As far as I know, there is no specific "step" or "chenical solution" specifically dedicated for that puropse, and I for one have never noticed a need for that, either.
    But ... I certainly am NOTHING like an "expert" here - possibly PE (who, in my book, has passed that requirement long ago) can offer resolution here.
    I'm not an expert either, but AFAIK, C41 films have the AH layer between the film base and the red sensitive (final) layer. It becomes transparent IIRC with development. If anybody knows specifically, I'd like to know.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin