Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,206   Posts: 1,531,845   Online: 839

Shooter
    4x5 Format

did I fog my film?

So I'm not sure if this should go here or in the large format section or somewhere else entirely, I think it fits here though.

So I'm headed out to Montana/Wyoming on Friday and I was getting set to load my 14 4x5 film holders with various types of film. I label all my new holders, figure out how much of each kind of film, and go down into my parents' laundry room to finally do the deed.

And so there I am, pleased with the darkness level in the room, loading up 5 sheets of Velvia 50 to start out with, I get to the fifth one and I look down and realize, "Damn, my shirt glows in the dark."

My question is basically, how much do you think I'll have affected the slides? Would you recommend shooting the same images onto the color neg film that I loaded once I had removed my shirt (calm down, ladies)?

This is the design on the shirt, just the eyes on the foxes were glowing. tiny little dots.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    It's hard to say (or guess) whether you fogged your film. I've discovered after loading 120 that the green dots on my watch were glowing brightly, and on occasion I will notice my cell phone ear-piece with it's blinking blue neon status indicator, after the fact. No ill effects in either case.

If you are only talking about 5 holders (10 sheets), I would scrap them and play it safe. I would hate to risk it with a great trip out to Big Sky country.

Where in Baltimore do you live?

Shooter
    35mm
    It's probably fine, but since this is for a trip I'd unload the suspect sheets to their own box, reload for sure good stuff, and use the maybe goofed ones for something more re-doable when you get home.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I was going to suggest the same thing as Mr. Brunner. Once you do shoot the "maybe goofed ones", if something does go wrong, you can start one of those multi-page APUG threads that we like so much here that essentially asks the question:

"Help me solve the mystery of what went wrong with my film".

To the best of my knowledge, I've never seen anyone blame their shirt in any of those threads .

Matt

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    ah, I'm bringing 14 holders plus the boxes of film and a changing bag so I'll have 5 more slides and 10 more negs outside of what's loaded and I was planning on using it all. I suppose I'll just duplicate each shot on the negative film just for security.

I live right now in Columbia/Ellicott City but I'm going to school at MICA in Bolton Hill.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by srmcnamara View Post

I live right now in Columbia/Ellicott City but I'm going to school at MICA in Bolton Hill.
    I live up on Calvert Street in Charles Village.

I know MICA well, or at least the area. I haven't been on campus since I studied lighting design there several years ago. I never got to see their darkroom. How is it?

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    well it's in that beautiful old building and it sure acts 100 years old sometimes but when all the plumbing is working it's everything I could ask for. The Omnia color processor is something of a godsend and all the enlargers are 4x5s and I can check out a Mamiya 7 or Fuji 6x9 just by asking. For a community darkroom it works pretty well.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I don't think it will have fogged...I have loaded film before without realising that the laundry machine timer is blinking a green light, and as far as I know the "glow in the dark" stickers on my darkroom print clips have never fogged a print. If the photos you are about to take are unrepeatable, I would not take the risk...but otherwise, I would use them. K

PS No liability accepted for poor advice LOL!!
    Kal Khogali

www.kal-khogali.com

Visit my Photo Scrap Book

www.shutteringeye.wordpress.com

"Wake up, dream, and photograph what you have seen.
    Don't wake up, photograph, and dream of what could have been."

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin