Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,719   Posts: 1,514,854   Online: 902

Shooter
    35mm

paper light exposure survival....

Help!!!

friend used my darkroom last weekend, last night I notice he had used some
    of my Kodak paper stash (color paper, unopened box of 100 sheets of 11x14)
    I wanted to see approx how much of it he had used and opened the box expecting it to still be in the black plastic (and so light safe...). Lo and behold it had been put back in the box WITHOUT the bag, just loose. I closed the box as quick as possible but it was exposed to light for probably a second or so. Is it all trash now or just the top few sheets and edges of rest or should I just pitch the whole box (which would make me sick...)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by fjleiter View Post
    Help!!!

friend used my darkroom last weekend, last night I notice he had used some
    of my Kodak paper stash (color paper, unopened box of 100 sheets of 11x14)
    I wanted to see approx how much of it he had used and opened the box expecting it to still be in the black plastic (and so light safe...). Lo and behold it had been put back in the box WITHOUT the bag, just loose. I closed the box as quick as possible but it was exposed to light for probably a second or so. Is it all trash now or just the top few sheets and edges of rest or should I just pitch the whole box (which would make me sick...)
    Test it. Toss the first few sheets and then try the fourth sheet down. Then try a sheet nearer the bottom of the stack.

Shooter
    35mm
    Yup, there are a ton of variables. Testing is the only answer.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    If it was 'just a peek' then you may have a black border around the edges of the paper on most of the sheets, and if you are lucky, only the top few will be fogged all the way through. I'd start at the top and develp the paper, one sheet at a time, until you reach the first good one. Then all the ones below that one should be good (except for the edges).

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    do what ic-racer recommended, then use the remaining "good sheets" for contact sheets. its a much better solution that making that perfect print, then finding out that you have exposed edges.

I have found that time is more expensive than paper. You can get more paper, but not the time back

-dan

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Dear fjleiter,

Your friend owes you a box of paper! ;>)

Neal Wydra

Shooter
    35mm
    top two pages I junked, the rest seem to have about 1/2 inch of exposure around the edges so will probably just use them as 8x10's etc and trim off the excess on the sides. (I tried three sheets, top, bottom and one in the middle and they were all the same way)

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin