Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,518   Posts: 1,543,749   Online: 852

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    Shooter
    35mm
    In my experience as a Lab Tech at Ritz Camera (please don't hate me, I just work there) I've noticed that the Kodak tends to be warmer and a little bit flatter and the Fuji tends to be cooler and more contrasty. Popeetheus is right about Fuji, the greens and blues will seem 'enhanced' while Kodak tends to be more balanced for skin tones. I don't know if they did that on purpose or not, but I've definitely noticed it in developing and in shooting stuff for myself.

My favorite films right now are Kodak Ektar 100 (really nice colors) and Portra 400NC. I don't care much for the Porta VC, but I do shoot it in my Diana camera since that camera tends to mute everything a bit. Oh, I also really like Portra 800 or Fuji 800Z if you can find either one of those. I think the Portra is still around, but not sure on the Pro 800Z.

For "over the counter" films, I'd try Fuji Reala 100 (if that's fast enough) or just plain old Kodak 400. For snapshots neither one of those has ever failed me and the Reala is pretty great for enlarging.

Best of luck!
    Matthew

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by wogster View Post
    The concern here for a lot of people is that you can only buy C41 chemicals in very large quantities and they go off very quickly. How do you get 5 gallons of C41 developer to last the 3-4 years it would take to use it up.
    That Is why I only buy press kits.
    www.EASmithV.com

"The camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera."— Dorothea Lange
    http://www.flickr.com/easmithv/
    RIP Kodachrome

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I use to work for Walgreens and I know their brand of film NOW is Fuji and it is pretty good. They still process film at their stores AND you can have them scanned and put on a CD at the same time.

Regarding Ektar 100......you might check out the September 2009 issue of Shutterbug. It has the tests for the 35mm and the 120 size films. From what I gather, the 35mm is not as forgiving as the 120 film. Plus, Kodak suggests that the film be stored below 55°F. I'm looking forward to trying it out though.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin