Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,930   Posts: 1,556,870   Online: 874

Thread: Fuji has 160nc?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Fuji has 160nc?

hey all,

i was just taking a gander at the megaperls site (japan) to see what those guys over in japan get to try out that fuji doesn't release here.

i noticed that fuji apparently has a pro 160nc color neg film available. i find it interesting that EK hasn't gone after them for product name infringement, if that's possible

check out the link and you can see for yourself.

http://www.japanexposures.com/shop/p...93b217b0581dd1

they really have some interesting products over there. like acros in 8x10 sheets, yum

-dan

Shooter
    Medium Format
    haha... maybe they should just put the "nc" in front of the "160," i.e., Fuji NC160. You know, sort of how there's the Canon 50D and the Nikon D50 in the DSLR world. HA!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Sounds like they are trying to be like Kodak with their Portra series.
    Helping to save analog photography one exposure at a time

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Fuji used to have NPS and NPC instead of Pro 160S and Pro 160C. In Japan, it looks like they use other names that are a combination of the new names and the old names (minus the P, perhaps for "Professional"?): 160NS and 160NC. It seems fairly obvious that these are what we call Pro 160S and Pro 160C, and used to call NPS and NPC, though I don't know for sure. The Kodak NC is, of course, preceded by "Portra", and labeled "Kodak", and comes in a yellow box, so I doubt people get confused that often.

For a while (I am not sure how long), Fuji codes for pro film have been S for the low contrast, low saturation, medium speed film (I guess that S = "skin"), C for the high contrast, high saturation, medium speed film (I guess that C = "contrast"), L for the tungsten-balanced medium speed film (L = type L film), H for the 400 speed film (I guess H = "high speed"), and Z for the 800 speed film (I don't know what Z could be...ZOUNDS!!!???). For instance, Fuji NPZ was an 800-speed pro emulsion, and CZ was an 800-speed consumer emulsion (though it could also be bought with the "pro" treatment as Superia Press). Same with NPH and CH. It seems logical that the C = "consumer", the P = "professional", but I don't know what the N could mean.
    Last edited by 2F/2F; 07-25-2009 at 09:03 AM. Click to view previous post history.
    2F/2F

"Truth and love are my law and worship. Form and conscience are my manifestation and guide. Nature and peace are my shelter and companions. Order is my attitude. Beauty and perfection are my attack."

- Rob Tyner (1944 - 1991)

San Francisco, CA | Kuching, MY | Jakarta, ID
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    As 2F mentioned, yes, 'C' has been around for ages. But between Fuji and Kodak, NPC/160C is more equal to 160VC rather than 160NC. Kodak's 'C' is "color," where Fuji's 'C' is "contrast."
    Stop worrying about grain, resolution, sharpness, and everything else that doesn't have a damn thing to do with substance.

http://www.flickr.com/kediwah

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    A revelation: N must mean "negative" (and R = "reversal", of course).

DUH!

So, is this right?

R = reversal
    N = negative
    P = professional
    C as first letter (as in Superia emulsions) = consumer
    S = skin
    C as last letter (as in pro emulsions) = contrast
    H = high speed
    Z = ZOUNDS, that's fast!
    Last edited by 2F/2F; 07-28-2009 at 07:23 AM. Click to view previous post history.
    2F/2F

"Truth and love are my law and worship. Form and conscience are my manifestation and guide. Nature and peace are my shelter and companions. Order is my attitude. Beauty and perfection are my attack."

- Rob Tyner (1944 - 1991)

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Always did wonder what the Z in 800 stood for. Or the H for that matter. Any ideas anyone?
    I brake for fixer!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    The "H" is silent, just like at the end of bokeh ....
    "Only dead fish follow the stream"

[APUG Portfolio] [APUG Blog] [Website]

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin