Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,764   Posts: 1,516,272   Online: 1118

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm

RA-4 and C-41 Kodak Chemicals

Been using the kits from Freestyle to do developing of Film/Paper. Doing enough volume now that it's getting expensive...

Is there an actual chart or sheet somewhere of what i would need to
    buy to as far as Kodak chemicals to do put together a "kit" myself
    for both RA and C-41. Seems there are a bunch of different type of
    chemical for each stage in the kodak chems.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    There is no correct published formula for either of these chemistry kits. They are trade secrets of Kodak and Fuji-Hunt. There are formulas on the web (and in the British Journal of Photography) pieced together from patents and other sources. They will produce color images on C-41 film and RA-4 paper, but you will not get optimal results in terms of appearance or long-term stability.

Also, when you look at the published formulas, you'll see that some of the ingredients are pretty pricey.

To save money, the most leveraged approach is to regenerate the bleach, it's the most expensive component. Use an aquarium pump and bubbler stone to re-oxygenate it. Also, making your own bleach from the formulas might possibly save some money.

For developer, buy larger quantities, mix components only as needed, and refrigerate the chemicals. This is where most of the "trade secrets" are, you're paying for quality.

The C-41 fixer is the cheapest fixer you can buy, and it's great fixer. Lots of folks use it for B&W because it's so cheap (price competition).

Also, buy locally, shipping this stuff is expensive. Find out where local minilabs buy their soup.

Shooter
    35mm
    don't really want to make the fixer/developer/bleach etc...

meant more like I see Bleach regenerator..replenisher part a part b...Starter...etc..

I am looking more for a shopping list of what I need to put a kit together to start off
    (not the replenishers or regenerators etc... but which actual ones I need to start)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    If you are looking to regenerate the bleach or mix it, the chemistry is rare and proprietary. You will need Ferric NTA (Nitrilo Triaceate) and NTA itself among other things.

The final rinse is also proprietary and contains a fungicide.

If you wish to mix the older bleach and stabilzer that is easy and less expensive.

PE

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    There are a number of threads here on APUG and in this forum that discuss how to deal with the Kodak chemistry and how it is packaged and sold.

Here as well is a link that lists a number of Kodak pdfs that discuss these issues.

http://www.kodak.com/global/en/profe...00/14472/14477

One caution - some of the packaging referred to in the pdfs may have been replaced.

Matt

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Matt;

Unfortunately, this page does not deal with C-41 or RA chemistry.

PE

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Photo Engineer View Post
    Matt;

Unfortunately, this page does not deal with C-41 or RA chemistry.

PE
    Ron:

Doesn't the CIS49 pdf in the Reference section apply?

Matt

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Matt;

I searched that page and 4 others and found no CIS49. In fact, all C41 pages were black and disabled as were RA pages. So, something is different here than what you see.

PE

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Photo Engineer View Post
    Matt;

I searched that page and 4 others and found no CIS49. In fact, all C41 pages were black and disabled as were RA pages. So, something is different here than what you see.

PE
    Ron:

Does this work?:

http://www.kodak.com/global/en/profe...is49/cis49.pdf

In the past I have noted some problems with the Kodak website re-directing links to more "local" links (in my case either Canadian or global links, when I might want UK or US links).

Matt

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by fjleiter View Post
    don't really want to make the fixer/developer/bleach etc...

meant more like I see Bleach regenerator..replenisher part a part b...Starter...etc..

I am looking more for a shopping list of what I need to put a kit together to start off
    (not the replenishers or regenerators etc... but which actual ones I need to start)
    This really depends...

Are you using a table-top processor? What size tanks does it have?
    Are you using a commercial slot processor?
    Does your processor replenish chemistry?
    Are you tray-processing at room temperature?
    What is your usage? Your must adjust your replenishment rates to your actual usage (volume).

I use Fuji Hunt chemistry for a couple of reasons.

The Kodak representative "couldn't be bothered" and refused to return e-mails, even one asking to be referred to a distributor.

The representatives at Fuji Hunt were very helpful determining my usage, replenishment rates, the best chemistry for me, a shopping list, contact information for a local distributor that ships hazmat with no qualms, and, they will happily answer even the dumbest of questions.

Fuji Hunt chemistry is cheaper and the results are flawless.

For the record, I use the 25 gallon Fuji Digital RA Pro developer with the standard RA Bleach Fix replenisher, also purchased in 25 gallon size) in a Hope RA20T4. The processor is plumbed, uses a two tank fresh water rinse, and replenishment system. I print a mix of Fuji Pro 160 S&C and Kodak Portra 160 & 400, NC & VC on the Fuji CA papers. The cost per print is so low I just don't worry about it any more.

Your mileage may vary.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin