Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,545   Posts: 1,544,504   Online: 1160

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I think I said that Paul, but as I said further, I believe that the smaller companies will do it before Kodak or Fuji, and they will do it using authentic kits, splitting them into appropriate sizes.

PE

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    I hope they do it soon before all the yummy color films are discontinued. hahah

mts
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    In response to this thread title, why indeed? I am perfectly happy using alternative C41 and E6 that I formulate from scratch, on demand in 1-liter quantity. Looking in my files I find transparencies and negatives more than 20 years old that print/scan close to original--good enough for my purposes as when they were processed, with films from Fuji and Kodak going back to Vericolor II and earlier E6 Ektachromes. That's not to say I don't really appreciate discussion about matching films to processing for optimal and consistent quality. However, images I process today can be expected to last another 20 years at least and that's longer than I expect to care. Archival (> 100 year) processing is somebody else's concern, in my opinion. Important photos that perhaps should be archival, i.e. ones I want to leave for posterity, I shoot on large format in black & white.

For processing analog color, I figure you can never tell when the next meteor is going to hit. It's arguable whether or not any digital will turn out to be more archival than a roll of processed and properly stored film. I can't read code I wrote twenty years ago and have stored on 8"/160KB floppies, but I presume that it's still there. I can still print C41 negatives and look at E6 transparencies and of course too few truely magnificent Kodachromes of the same vintage.

Anyway, that's my take on this thread subject.

(BTW, I use the same quinone/peroxide bleach for both C41 and E6 and am very happy not having to locate, buy, ship, and store Fe-EDTA)
    By denying the facts, any paradox can be sustained--Galileo

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Photo Engineer View Post
    Look for small companies to begin to repackage Kodak kits or kits formulated with genuine Kodak formulas in smaller quantities for C-41 and RA. I suspect this will take place.

PE
    Is Ornano Cpac Italia (www.ornano.it) one of these?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    No.

CPAC (as Ron knows) was set-up by ex EK employees initially to manufacture silver recovery units. They also bought Tura and own Trebla chemistry, they have plants manufacturing chemistry in a few countries now.

Ian

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin