Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,001   Posts: 1,524,383   Online: 918

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Dale Labs will no longer make slides from neg film

Hi Guys-
    For many of you this is not a big loss, but this Friday July 31, Dale Labs will no longer make a set of slides from a roll of negative film for you. This worked well for me on some occasions. They did a pretty good job. They said the the machine that they have left after 30 years of service eats to much electricity, water, is becoming an environmental hazard and is failing them. This is the service that made Dale big years ago. They will now make a set of prints from a roll of E-6 instead. www.Dalelabs.com
    Helping to save analog photography one exposure at a time

Shooter
    35mm
    I actually had them do this last fall. And I was not too impressed. Contrast was through the roof. And the colors were wacked out. Honestly, just about ANY slide film out there will give you better slides than getting slides from C41.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The materials for having this done properly disappeared a long time ago. It can still be done digitally but would be expensive I suspect dr5 could do them for a price.

As Matt says it's best to use slide film in the first place if you want slides to project.

Ian

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Not a great loss so far as I'm concerned. My experience is much like StorminMatt. The colors and contrast are pretty bad. When I want slides, I just take slides. Prints from slides are a better compromise, in my opinion.
    I would suppose the market for slides from neg. film is pretty small these days. The print media doesn't use them any more, and how many families sit down in the evening with the slide projector and popcorn to enjoy the vacation photos? You know, I really miss that. When my wife and I were kids, our parents did that nearly every weekend.
    Bruce

Moma don't take my Kodachrome away!
    Oops, Kodak just did!

BruceCSdunekPhotography.zenfolio.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I did this simply for the times I wanted slide and only had neg film. I also did this when I needed the speed or exposure lattitude of neg film.
    Helping to save analog photography one exposure at a time

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by bsdunek View Post
    Prints from slides are a better compromise, in my opinion.
    A good point. And when you consider that the lion's share of printing is done digitally anyway, slides are not nearly as much of a liability as they were in the past when it comes to making prints.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin