Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,008   Posts: 1,524,581   Online: 993

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    35mm
    Images

Old Velvia and other films

Hello,

when I bought a medium format camera (Kiev 60), I got some old Velvia, Provia 400F and Tmax 400. They are from 2004, and I don't know how they were stored.

I would like to try some of it tomorrow at a family reunion. Should I give it more exposure? Develop longer, shorter? Thanks for any advice!

/Erik

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Four year old film slow may have color shifted a tiny bit, but not really accumulated much contrast destroying cosmic radiation, I would not worry. The higher speed stuff might have a touch of contrast loss from cosmic radiation, but I would not do anything about compensating when only five years out of date. JMHO.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    For people you'd better stay away from velvia, provia would be somewhat better. Generally I'd use astia for such things, if I had to use slide film for faces.

But the films are probably fine as long as they weren't stored in an especially warm place- just expose normally and see what you get!
    "Only dead fish follow the stream"

[APUG Portfolio] [APUG Blog] [Website]

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    To hijack your thread... I have a roll of Velvia 50 that I got from a friend and it expired in 2001. It's been a fridge or freezer the whole time. Do I expect any change in speed or just some colour shifts? Just wondering whether it's worth shooting or binning as the E6 dev costs are pretty high ($13) here.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by polyglot View Post
    To hijack your thread... I have a roll of Velvia 50 that I got from a friend and it expired in 2001. It's been a fridge or freezer the whole time. Do I expect any change in speed or just some colour shifts? Just wondering whether it's worth shooting or binning as the E6 dev costs are pretty high ($13) here.
    That's not old! Go for it. As long as it's stored like you say it was, it'll be usable. I shot some epp from 1990 recently, all good.
    www.vinnywalsh.com

I know what I want but I just don't know how to go about gettin' it.-Hendrix

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Yeah, don't shoot people with Velvia. Not pretty.
    www.EASmithV.com

"The camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera."— Dorothea Lange
    http://www.flickr.com/easmithv/
    RIP Kodachrome

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    ha I got some velvia 50 4x5 that expired in 99. I am hoping the contrast has been killed.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I would try the T-Max and shoot it at EI 260?
    Helping to save analog photography one exposure at a time

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    260 sounds very specific. I would guess that older film would loose some contrast. But 260 seems like you are suggesting pulling to me. Or did I get it wrong?

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I just shot a few rolls of expired RVP (2001 expired) freezer stored.

i noticed that when slightly overexposed there was a strong magenta shift. In fact quite pleasant when combined with a sunrise and the Sydney Opera House. Will upload to flickr soon

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin