Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,303   Posts: 1,536,258   Online: 794

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    Large Format

8mm kodachrome 25, too old to use?

I bought a movie camera last year that had with it a unexposed roll of Kodachrome 25 with it. I only realized recently that I should take a look at it and the possibility of using it after I sold the camera I got it with and bought an older, nicer Cine Kodak.
    It has an expiry date of November 78 and was stored at room temp since then in a camera bag in its original box and tin. I could tolerate some shift but would it be too far gone? Just thought I'd give it a shot. Maybe give it 1/2 stop overexposure to counteract speed toss

It also has the original price tag on it, $3.09 at Drug Fair. Seems like that was an awful lot.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    It's cooked. Absolutely shoot it though. I would try ASA 10.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Is anyone processing Kodachrome 8mm anymore? I thought that went away when Kodak Switzerland went away. I could be wrong about that though!
    --------------------
    "Everytime I find a film or paper that I like, they discontinue it." -Paul Strand

www.glasskeyphoto.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by tjaded View Post
    Is anyone processing Kodachrome 8mm anymore? I thought that went away when Kodak Switzerland went away. I could be wrong about that though!
    Dwaynes does everything Kodachrome from 35mm on down, including 8mm.
    www.EASmithV.com

"The camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera."— Dorothea Lange
    http://www.flickr.com/easmithv/
    RIP Kodachrome

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Oh cool. I have one last roll of Kodachrome Super 8 that I thought I couldn't use. Whoops.
    --------------------
    "Everytime I find a film or paper that I like, they discontinue it." -Paul Strand

www.glasskeyphoto.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Shoot it and send it to Dwayne's via Wal-mart. It is cheaper than Dwayne's, and for a 30+ year old roll of film, you don't want to spend too much.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Walmart returned my last roll of K40 super 8 saying service not offered...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    They did that to me too. You have to also write "Send to Dwayne's Photo" now for it to go through.
    Helping to save analog photography one exposure at a time

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by tjaded View Post
    As others have said, Dwyane's does 8mm (and I presume 16mm) K-14, but officially, they only have Kodak's approval for 35mm: they say there is something up with the agitation for MP film. I haven't noticed any difference.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Have you shot the film yet? If not thought I'd share a little bit of my own experience on expired Kodachrome movie film. If I were to shoot that film today in 2014 I would shoot at around 3.5 to 4 f-stops above normal, say in f-16 sun lighting I would shoot at around between f-4 and f-5.6. I've shot Kodachrome 25 that expired in 1980 and it made great pictures. As for the developing side of things, as I know the Kodachrome don't exist no more but the film can be cross processed as a B&W negative, I process all my Kodachromes in Caffenol C, the Kodachrome 25 I would process for 6 minutes in Caffenol C-M at 20 deg C.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin