Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 75,166   Posts: 1,658,510   Online: 776

Shooter
    35mm

Colorneg. how fast?

I have a question on color negative. I have two exposed films in my freezer, and I wonder how quickly I have to develop them in a lab before they become to grainy?

/ / / Anders S (SWEDEN

Shooter
    35mm
    If you search back, there are several threads here on the keeping properties of films in the fridge or deep freeze, and on the use of films after their expiry date.

You can retain films for processing for some time (say, a few weeks) after exposure if this is necessary, but, in general, just process as soon as you can to avoid any risk of deterioration.

Personally, I have no concerns in using film well past its expiry date when I've kept it frozen unexposed from new, but, once exposed, I either process it myself or send it to the lab as soon as possible.

(Any particular reason why are you keeping the films unprocessed? )
    Last edited by railwayman3; 08-03-2009 at 11:57 AM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: Clarification.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    It really depends on the film speed. I would give the following recommendations for keeping exposed film in the freezer:

ISO 1600+: Process immediately
    ISO 800: 2-3 weeks
    ISO 400: 4-5 weeks
    ISO 200: 1-2 months
    ISO 100 and below: up to 3 months

Any longer than that, you run the risk of latent image degradation.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by railwayman3 View Post
    (Any particular reason why are you keeping the films unprocessed? )
    I´m lasy, thats all Stupid I know, but they are myt first films ever. I found my dad´s old Pentax MX, and these films are testingrolls to se if the camera takes godd pictures. If the colors are right and other stuff.

///Anders

Shooter
    35mm
    By co-incidence, I use Pentax MX and LX...great cameras, and, if they're working properly, I don't think you will be disappointed.

Even if your exposed films have been kept a while, you could still see whether things like sharpness and film transport are all OK. Any deterioration of the exposed film will, of course, make it more difficult to judge the accuracy of the exposure and metering.

And judging color rendering of lenses needs a fresh quality film and good quality processing.

I'd get the films processed and, if all's well, start to enjoy using the camera.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Process it as fast as reasonable. It's not worth freaking out about though. I've gotten images from film 8 years old on 400 ASA but you do get degredation.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by nickrapak View Post
    It really depends on the film speed. I would give the following recommendations for keeping exposed film in the freezer:

ISO 1600+: Process immediately
    ISO 800: 2-3 weeks
    ISO 400: 4-5 weeks
    ISO 200: 1-2 months
    ISO 100 and below: up to 3 months

Any longer than that, you run the risk of latent image degradation.
    But when you are out travelling for a few weeks with no freezer available, you will have to strech this, of course. Colour negative films have been used by travellers without freezers for decades.

Out of curiosity, what film have you been using?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    The latent image can deteriorate?
    www.EASmithV.com

"The camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera."— Dorothea Lange
    http://www.flickr.com/easmithv/
    RIP Kodachrome

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I guess I had better process all that T64 I shot two years ago and have kept at room temp...160 sheets of 4x5 Fuji QL and 40 of NPS.
    2F/2F

"Truth and love are my law and worship. Form and conscience are my manifestation and guide. Nature and peace are my shelter and companions. Order is my attitude. Beauty and perfection are my attack."

- Rob Tyner (1944 - 1991)

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin